A.Lange & Sohne Glashutte Pocket Watch - is this fake?

Thread: A.Lange & Sohne Glashutte Pocket Watch - is this fake?

Charity A.Lange & Sohne Glashutte Pocket Watch - is this fake?

I recently bought this from an acquaintance. But when I showed it to others I've been told that the watch is fake. I tried google-pictures search for A.Lange & Sohne Glashutte i.Sa. pocket watch and I can't find one.

Can you guys confirm this is fake? I've tried talking to the seller but he still believes it's real. I personally know the seller - I think he genuinely thinks it's real and didn't intend on deceiving me. Might someone know how I can convince/prove to him that it's fake? I appreciate any advise. Thanks!

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1377
Size:  191.9 KB
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 1172
Size:  186.3 KB
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 1116
Size:  198.1 KB
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 1192
Size:  185.1 KB
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 1154
Size:  183.2 KB
    Name:  6.JPG
Views: 1101
Size:  211.2 KB
    Name:  7.JPG
Views: 1121
Size:  209.1 KB
    Name:  DSCF0097.JPG
Views: 1094
Size:  203.3 KB
    Name:  DSCF0103.JPG
Views: 1120
Size:  210.6 KB
    Name:  DSCF0103a.JPG
Views: 1270
Size:  209.0 KB
    Last edited by dunearn; January 7th, 2013 at 17:52.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: A.Lange & Sohne Glashutte Pocket Watch - is this fake?

I would say that it is definitely a fake. I am not sure whether Lange used the "English style" of moverment with completely closed plate and balance on top in their early days - they are better remembered for the 3/4 plate movements. However, at the time when that movement was (supposed to be) made (i.e. if Lange ever used that sort of movement around 1850), the "Swiss" or "Germany" or similar inscription at the bottom of the dial was simply not in use. In addition, the movement inscriptions ("A. Lange", "Germany") are just too fresh to convince. My verdict: a bad fake!

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by dunearn View Post
    I recently bought this from an acquaintance. But when I showed it to others I've been told that the watch is fake. I tried google-pictures search for A.Lange & Sohne Glashutte i.Sa. pocket watch and I can't find one.

Can you guys confirm this is fake? I've tried talking to the seller but he still believes it's real. I personally know the seller - I think he genuinely thinks it's real and didn't intend on deceiving me. Might someone know how I can convince/prove to him that it's fake? I appreciate any advise. Thanks!
    I'm afraid your watch is definately not by A.Lange&Sohne.

It is an English fusee lever watch in an English case with London hallmarks for 1884, it was made by Rotherams.
    Everything about the watch seems correct except for the markings on the dial and barrel plate proclaiming the watch to be
    German and Lange&Sohne???

You can prove to your pal that this watch is not German by pointing out that German watchmakers would never used English hallmarks
    on their watch cases and never made fusee levers on the English pattern and they would not mark their watches with the
    name of a prominant English maker.

It is a very strange and naive attempt at deception.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

pej

What a shame to mutilate a decent watch by putting a fake name on it. Perhaps the dial can be somewhat restored by polishing the fake name off.

Thread Information