Large Vintage Watches?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Large Vintage Watches?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Large Vintage Watches?

First off, apologies if this has been discussed before.

I really dig a lot of vintage watches and find them to be great values. But, I have a rather large wrist and the 34mm to 38mm world in which most vintages live is just too small for me. Are there affordable vintage watches (mostly interested in divers) that are 42mm+?

Thanks in advance. And sorry for the vague question.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Re: Large Vintage Watches?

42mm?? Wow... the only thing in my collection is a Heuer Super Professional from the '80s. I think it's even a little larger than 42 - it was a massive watch for its time, the equal of today's TAG Heuer Aquagraph.

I have a wrist slightly larger than 8 inches. I was wearing a Hamilton Tanq from the early 40's when I stopped in to see my 88 year old mother. She saw it and chastised me be for wearing a women's watch and was appropriately rebuked (Mothers are always mothers. And Sons are always sons, no matter what their actual age...) when I pointed out it was her late brother-in-law's watch and was identical to the one her husband (My father) had worn for over 25 years. The point is, it is all fashion, the mode of the day.

But I point out it is the people who defy fashion who set fashion.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    42mm?? Wow... the only thing in my collection is a Heuer Super Professional from the '80s. I think it's even a little larger than 42 - it was a massive watch for its time, the equal of today's TAG Heuer Aquagraph.

I have a wrist slightly larger than 8 inches. I was wearing a Hamilton Tanq from the early 40's when I stopped in to see my 88 year old mother. She saw it and chastised me be for wearing a women's watch and was appropriately rebuked (Mothers are always mothers. And Sons are always sons, no matter what their actual age...) when I pointed out it was her late brother-in-law's watch and was identical to the one her husband (My father) had worn for over 25 years. The point is, it is all fashion, the mode of the day.

But I point out it is the people who defy fashion who set fashion.
    Haha! I know what you mean. I have a near as makes no difference to 8 inch wrist, and have been waiting for this big watch craze for the longest time. Everything I wore in the past looked so small and when watches started to get larger, they finally felt like they fit.

I know divers' and pilots' watches tended to be larger than their contemporaries (as I recall, the original Ploprof and the new one are the same size, so the original must have been massive at the time), and I like that style anyway, so I was hoping to find something that fit.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can sometimes find a vintage Russian Ural on ebay. They are kind of unusual, I think the case is 40mm and they are pretty cheap.
    Last edited by cavallino33; December 6th, 2010 at 19:49.
    Buran Siberia (x2 black and white), Aviator Chrono II (poljot31681), Ferrari Jumbo Pit Crew,Alpha Jump Hour, MZI Skeleton, MKII Stingray,Elgin 18s,Agat stopwatch, Sturmanskie Sputnik,Raketa Pilot, Poljot Traveller,Tscheljabinsk military clock, Kirovskie Crab, Vostok Amphibia (tank dial), 3133 Strela replica, Alpha Jumphour Tank,Denissov Barracuda 31681,Laco B-Uhr type B, Stowa Antea KS

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cavallino33

The vintage Ural is a stunning watch-they remind me of 40s automobiles. The gold aluminum is fine! especially w/ a black face or golden orange face(which is hard to come by, I think.) Just to put in my 2 cents in, on a blue frigid day.

Banned

The chunky cases of the 70's wear very large. The diameter from 3 - 9 may be only 38 to 40 mm, but because the lugs are big and the cases are more of a tonneau shape it's a better comparison to measure them from 2 - 8. Most will then be 41 to 44 mm.

Heuer Autavia chronographs (41 mm), Omega Speedmasters (42 mm), and JLC Polaris dive watches (42 mm) are all pretty large but none are cheap.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Haha! I know what you mean. I have a near as makes no difference to 8 inch wrist, and have been waiting for this big watch craze for the longest time. Everything I wore in the past looked so small and when watches started to get larger, they finally felt like they fit.

I know divers' and pilots' watches tended to be larger than their contemporaries (as I recall, the original Ploprof and the new one are the same size, so the original must have been massive at the time), and I like that style anyway, so I was hoping to find something that fit.
    If you like the diver style, then there are amny possibilities from the 1970s. Check out the sports-style watches from the major Japanese brands (Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Ricoh). Orient in particular made some very bold and chunky watches. From Switzerland, some of the best stuff is from the lower end of the price range; brands like Sorna, Wakmann and Sicura. Those brands also did some higher-grade pieces that are worth looking for.

If you get a hankering for a really vintage look, then your options open out into B-uhr and pilot chronograph watches, if you can afford to buy and look after them. There are some USSR options that are more affordable, but you'd need to run each piece you find past the Russian watch forum. There are a lot of Frankenwatches out there.

Trench-watches, both authentic WWI and civvies in that style (e.g. Services brand), are nicely chunky, but you'll need something like a Bund strap to make it sit well on the wrist. The Soviet-built Type-1 wristwatch (~46mm), particularly the fixed lug Chistopol versions, are a more wearable alternative.

For dress-watches, if you ever feel the need, look for the Ural (also from the USSR) and the Lanco Mod.11.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

I've got this one from the early 70's.........Tissot Seastar T12 with inner rotating bezel. It measures 42mm accross and 50mm lug to lug....it's a big chunk of watch now, let alone for the time!!

With some others from the series.....

dad-the-diver and edenshane like this.

Here are a few of my vintage divers.

They very in prices.I got a few that are in the 38mm range up to 43mm.The best bang for the buck for a larger case would be the Seiko 6105 has that cushion case and hacks or any Seiko vintage diver but I like the 6105 the best out of out all the Seiko's I own.My favorite two right now are the Eterna Kontiki Super and the Aquastar Benthos 500 but they are not cheap.
    dad-the-diver likes this.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm really intrigued by the Tissot Seastar. I also like the idea of those Trench watches. I've been looking to put something on a bund strap for a while. Off to the 'bay!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast