Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Larger pics of strange watch

Above: Watch without crystal and bezel

Above: Sidewiew, with crystal in place

Above: Back of watch

Above: Aluminium movement cover

Above: Front, with crystal

Sorry if the pics are a mess! Me in a nutshell!

Thanks for all help, Janne
    Last edited by Janne; September 10th, 2008 at 03:51.

Re: Larger pics of strange watch

I just recently saw a watch almost exactly like the one you show. The watchmaker told me it was extracted it from an old car, which might explain the crown at the 6 o'clock position.

Beyond that, I had no other information. When I go back to the shop, I'll make a further inquiry if you have not alread discovered from where it originated.

Glen

Banned

The reson I think it may have something to do with the Imperial German Navy is the "ironcross" and the letter "M". The Guru K. Knirim mentions the "M" in I.G.Navy ("Marine" )watches. Also, the whole watch is made from non rusting materials, apart from a very few gears.
    I have absolutely Zero info apart from that!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I believe that this is a vintage travel alarm clock. The watch fits in a frame which itself is hinged to the top edge of a traveling box. When the box is opened the watch frame swings out and the frame then rests inside the edge of the bottom of the box. The box & frame then form a support which can sit on a night stand. The box & frame were sometimes covered in leather with metal trim. Oftentimes the box became quite tattered and was discarded but the clock was too nice to throw away.

I do not recognize the maker of the movement but it is quite likely Swiss. I believe that the cross is the Swiss cross (not the Iron cross). I don't think that this has anything to do with the German navy.

You are quite right. The lever on the back side was for turning on and off the alarm. The hand that looks like a seconds hand is actually the alarm time set hand. So this clock was set to go off at 12:36.

Jon Nailor

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    I believe that this is a vintage travel alarm clock. The watch fits in a frame which itself is hinged to the top edge of a traveling box. When the box is opened the watch frame swings out and the frame then rests inside the edge of the bottom of the box. The box & frame then form a support which can sit on a night stand. The box & frame were sometimes covered in leather with metal trim. Oftentimes the box became quite tattered and was discarded but the clock was too nice to throw away.

I do not recognize the maker of the movement but it is quite likely Swiss. I believe that the cross is the Swiss cross (not the Iron cross). I don't think that this has anything to do with the German navy.

I belive that you are talking about this kind of watch:

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

The WUS Vintage crew continues to amaze me with how often they can come up with definitive answers to almost anything! Wow... you guys are wonderful!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Banned

HHHMMMM... I can not say I see a likeness between those two watches.
    I posted a more verbal description of the watch on the Thread " Expert help needed lots of pics".
    Also on this eminent Forum.
    I checked the "cross", It is definitely an "Ironcross", not a Swiss cross. The "wings" on the Ironcross has wider ends than it has at the center. )( sort of.
    The Swiss cross is like a fat +.
    Last edited by Janne; September 12th, 2008 at 00:44.

OK, I revise my comment to:
    The WUS Vintage crew continues to amaze me with how often they can come up with definitive speculations to almost anything! Wow... you guys are wonderful!

I still think the alarm clock is spot on... we'll see.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

The travel alarm clock that I described has the round clock held in a rectangular frame whereas on the alarm clock posted by jedanzoom the clock itself replaces the frame.

Here's a closer example to your clock to show what I am talking about:

I once had a red leather cased travel alarm with a clock part that was quite similar to the clock you have posted.

If you still think that's the Iron Cross on the back of the watch and that the watch is German then I have a question for you. If the clock is German why is the text on the back of the clock in French? (i.e., Réveil, Silence for alarm on, alarm off by the lever that turns the alarm function on & off)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information