Last Week's Find
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TristanZ

Thread: Last Week's Find

Last Week's Find

Well, Eeeb pointed me in the direction of Genna the Russian Watchmaker who, being in Hilliard, is ten miles (as the moose flies) from where I live. I took a '60s Waltham and a '30s Elgin to him for repair and as one might expect, he asked if I was interested in vintage watches. I said "Yup" and he said he bought watchmakers' estates on the side... and then proceeded to start pulling watches out of drawers. I damn near started crying. Here's what I ended up walking away with: A Longines hand winder with a calibre 12L movement. The serial number dates it to 1943. Everything is original except the crown (which is close to being of the correct size and design of the original). Genna said it had sat in a watchmakers drawer for close to 70 years, and I believe him. The case may or may not have been polished, but it is completely unmarked. The dial is just starting to show patina. It's been deadly accurate for the four days I've had it. I told Genna to have his vintages ready for me when the Waltham and Elgin were ready, because I was gonna be ready to deal.

Name:  DSCN2873.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  226.9 KBName:  DSCN2878.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  228.3 KBName:  lp-1.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  234.7 KB
    Marrick likes this.
    TristanZ

Audemars Piguet Bernhardt Breitling Corum JeanRichard Elgin Eterna Gerald Genta Hamilton
    IWC Jaeger-LeCoultre
    Omega Rolex Seiko Timex Vache
    ron Constantin Zenith

Horologium manuale meum stitit.

Re: Last Week's Find

I am afraid your Longines' dial is far from being original. It doesn't even sit straight.
    This is how the original dial for this model looks like.

Name:  1403_LON_12L.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  245.3 KB

I just picked up a Waltam Vangard from Genna today (broken balance staff). He has never shown me his 'pickups' (he does a lot of estate buys). That rat!! LOL

He is a great watchmaker. But he is not a collector... He has a very utilitarian view of watches.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by eldarinn View Post
    I am afraid your Longines' dial is far from being original. It doesn't even sit straight.
    This is how the original dial for this model looks like.

Name:  1403_LON_12L.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  245.3 KB
    Did some research and yup, you're right. Can't say it bugs me all that much... it cost next to nothing and the calibre 12L is amazingly accurate. Maybe I'll get the re-dial re-dialed.
    TristanZ

Audemars Piguet Bernhardt Breitling Corum JeanRichard Elgin Eterna Gerald Genta Hamilton
    IWC Jaeger-LeCoultre
    Omega Rolex Seiko Timex Vache
    ron Constantin Zenith

Horologium manuale meum stitit.

Get some lume paint and fill in the numbers and it will look great.

Thread Information