Latest acquisition.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bracky1

Thread: Latest acquisition.

Latest acquisition.

To go along with my gold plated 23 jewel Sekonda, here's another slim 23 jeweler this time in chrome plate.
    It's in very nice condition and is keeping time well so far. It cost a bank busting £13.49

Name:  DSCF6510 (Medium).JPG
Views: 481
Size:  104.9 KB
    bubba48 and joeuk like this.
    Bentima Star (Ultra Slim 50's)
    Sandoz (sub clone 2007)
    Ticin Chronograph (50's)
    Sea-Gull 1963 Re-issue (2011)
    Sekonda Deluxe (gold tone)(60's)
    Sekonda (23 jewel silver tone)(60's)
    Seiko Chronograph (Quartz 2005)

Re: Latest acquisition.

Nice find! I like the...what looks like a metal/mesh band, goes well. Congrats!

good clean look, contemporary strap & roman numerals too, nice one
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Bracky1,

This is an example of the Luch-built ultra-thin using the "Vympel" 2209 movement, first built by 1MWF Poljot; at the Russian Forum it has a very enthusiastic following - probably started by me, and I even supply upgrade crystals... Among my examples I have one just like that but one generation earlier, still marked "de luxe".

John87300,

I do not think the bracelet is original, the ones fitted by Sekonda UK are with shaped lug ends which enclose the lug opening and of "milanaise" style, where the top surface is ground down flat to give the appearance of a much tighter weave. But when all is said and done, a good Vympel is a very satisfying piece of machine to have.

It came with the original mesh strap but I found it uncomfortabe and it didn't sit on my wrist properly so I swapped it for a standard mesh.
    Here's the sellers pic with original band.
    Seele, am I right in thinking this would be one from the 70's?

Name:  Silver Sekonda.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  68.6 KB
    Bentima Star (Ultra Slim 50's)
    Sandoz (sub clone 2007)
    Ticin Chronograph (50's)
    Sea-Gull 1963 Re-issue (2011)
    Sekonda Deluxe (gold tone)(60's)
    Sekonda (23 jewel silver tone)(60's)
    Seiko Chronograph (Quartz 2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    Bracky1,

This is an example of the Luch-built ultra-thin using the "Vympel" 2209 movement, first built by 1MWF Poljot; at the Russian Forum it has a very enthusiastic following - probably started by me, and I even supply upgrade crystals... Among my examples I have one just like that but one generation earlier, still marked "de luxe".

John87300,

I do not think the bracelet is original, the ones fitted by Sekonda UK are with shaped lug ends which enclose the lug opening and of "milanaise" style, where the top surface is ground down flat to give the appearance of a much tighter weave. But when all is said and done, a good Vympel is a very satisfying piece of machine to have.
    Hi Seele

Thanks for that, it just proves my general lack of knowledge on all things not French

I've only ever had one Sekonda again a "made in USSR", and much like the equivalent LIP, among many others:

John

I own a sekonda and its an excellent movement, runs great and keeps great time, yours is a very good example

Bracky1,

MWF Luch of Belarus acquired the rights to this 2209 "Vympel" movement from 1MWF Poljot along with this ultra-thin case in 1970, give or take a few months. The first thing Luch did was to change the hour and minute hands to slightly thicker ones with a painted strip down the length, thus improving legibility. Luch also produced a wide variety of cases - some of them rather chunky - powered by this multi-award-winning movement until 1989, with one major revision in the late 1970s where the studded-rimmed balance was replaced by a smooth-rimmed balance.

Sekonda UK was founded in 1966 - after all the manufacturers had adopted their own unique corporate brand names, and sold both 1MWF- and MWF-built ultra-thins. As the Poljot-built ones were originally branded "Poljot de luxe" they were of course branded "Sekonda de luxe". While Luch never branded them as "de luxe" Sekonda continued to request them to be branded as such until some time around 1977/78. So your example is dated no earlier than 1977/78, and my example branded "Sekonda de luxe" places it as before that.

Among Russian watch enthusiasts, there is a habit of using the original watch model names to refer to the individual movements, as the unified movement appellation system only refers to movements by their specifications. 1MWF Poljot, Vostok and PWF Raketa all built 2209-spec movements but they're totally different, thus we call them "Vympel", "Mir" and "Record" respectively. Of course it only works well before each manufacturer adopted its own umbrella corporate brand name! This movement was of course first used in a watch called "Vympel", in the same ultra-thin case, and these earliest examples are quite sought after.

John87300,

Your example is most probably one built by 2MWF Slava with a twin-barrel 2414 movement; it would be very easy to check just by looking at the back of the movement. Until the dissolution of the Soviet Union, Sekonda UK sourced most of their watches from there regardless of the actual manufacturer, so it's an interesting pursuit to identify who made each example. In fact Sekonda carried on getting them from Russian makers like Poljot after the dissolution as long as they're able to supply them, so there are some late models marked "Russia", but they are a bit less easy to find.
    Last edited by Seele; June 13th, 2012 at 05:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    Bracky1,

John87300,

Your example is most probably one built by 2MWF Slava with a twin-barrel 2414 movement; it would be very easy to check just by looking at the back of the movement. Until the dissolution of the Soviet Union, Sekonda UK sourced most of their watches from there regardless of the actual manufacturer, so it's an interesting pursuit to identify who made each example. In fact Sekonda carried on getting them from Russian makers like Poljot after the dissolution as long as they're able to supply them, so there are some late models marked "Russia", but they are a bit less easy to find.
    Thanks Seele, that confirms exactly what I've got listed for it. It's a very common style here in from French makers such as LIP, and a number of the smaller marques too. My favourite Russian is a civilian style Kommandirskie, doubtless a "franken" from some garage in the Ukraine, but I like it!

John

John,

Regardless of authenticity it's still a good Vostok to wear.

The Russian watch industry had several direct bloodlines, what I consider the most important - with the longest-lasting influence, was from Lip: several Lip movements were licenced to the Russian watch industry in the early 1930s, the most important was the R26, which was re-engineered by the recently closed Penza Watch Factory established for this venture. The resultant K-26 "Pobeda" movement became one of the longest-lasting Russian movements and went through quite important evolutions. Even the current Raketa 2609.NA and derivatives are still dimensionally compatible with the Pobeda movement.

The most classic of the early Pobedas even borrowed the external stylings of the Lip model, the Lip original seems quite hard to find in any condition, however. You can see some examples of the originals and Russian versions of some movements here.

Thread Information