Lathin chronograph

Thread: Lathin chronograph

Picture Lathin chronograph

Lathin chronogragh,swiss made,17 jewel,antimagnetic just got this out of the shop one of these day's I will try to take the cover off to take photo's of the movement.Has any body ever hear of lathin watches?

Re: Lathin chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    Lathin chronogragh,swiss made,17 jewel,antimagnetic just got this out of the shop one of these day's I will try to take the cover off to take photo's of the movement.Has any body ever hear of lathin watches?
    No, but these early chronographs were encased by a large number of folks.

The Up/Down arrangement is much less common than the side/side... Let us know what the movement is.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I have a Lathin watch. Not a chronograph.

Mines a AS1187 family movement in a BMB case from the early 1950s

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    The Up/Down arrangement is much less common than the side/side... Let us know what the movement is.
    The up-down arrangement was used by Pierce but also by Venus (e.g. Cal. 170):

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Venus_170

My guess is that it's a Venus calibre. If it is a Venus 170, it will also be slightly unusual in that it hasn't got a standard horizontal clutch but rather a swivel pinion. Nowadays, this is standard in the Valjoux 7750 and is also used in the Chronoswiss "Chronoscope" - but at that time, it was rather less common.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post

My guess is that it's a Venus calibre. If it is a Venus 170, it will also be slightly unusual in that it hasn't got a standard horizontal clutch but rather a swivel pinion. Nowadays, this is standard in the Valjoux 7750 and is also used in the Chronoswiss "Chronoscope" - but at that time, it was rather less common.

Hartmut Richter
    I think you are right when I pick it up I ask what movement and I think he said Venus he was not the one who did the work he sends it out for repairs.But I will be gone for a few day's when I get back I will try to get cover off to take photo's and this is a little bigger than most older chronographs.

I have learned one thing about collecting older chronograph wrist watch from the shop I took the watch to for repairs he told me the mainspring was replaced becouse of all the functions on a chronograph they all ways replace the mainspring so if this is true let me know and if any on else in the forum take's there vintage chronograph in for service they will make sure that the mainspring get's replace.It did not cost as mutch as I thought for a service on a chronograph $120.00 I was at another shop and I heard them tell some one around 300.00.To bad the shop I took it to for the better price is going to retire and close the shop.

Hi -

The watchmakers I use always replace the mainspring regardless of whether it is a chrono or not. It's simply a good idea, as it doesn't cost much and is one of the best ways of ensuring that the watch has the best chance of keeping decent time (weak mainsprings are a big cause of trouble on older vintage watches or watches that have seen a lot of use...).

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post

Hartmut Richter
    I've read that the up-down Venus calibres were less reliable than the horizonal ones (e.g. 150, 175). Was this due to the use of a swivel pinion?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Doubt it as far as the swivel pinion goes - the Valjoux 7750 uses it and it's one of the most reliable chronograph movements around.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    To bad the shop I took it to for the better price is going to retire and close the shop.
    but you maybe be able to snag some nice vintage stuff from the watchmaker (display stands, books, catalogs, interesting pieces he might not need perhaps etc.)
    -Blaise-

Thread Information