Le Locle key set key wind movement. Brand ID? Any help or info

Thread: Le Locle key set key wind movement. Brand ID? Any help or info

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    9

    Le Locle key set key wind movement. Brand ID? Any help or info

    Hello,

    I have a key set key wind Loclel style movement.

    I will upload images as soon as I can.

    Underneath the dial it is marked C. PIGOULOT EBAUCHES with a design which looks like a lion lying down with wings.

    It is also marked VILLIER FIL BESANCON and stamped 63761.

    Can anyone confirm this is from Les Chaux de Fonds.

    The movement looks quite simple a standard looking Le Locle finger bridge movement.

    Any information on the maker would be appreciated.

    Internet searches really find nothing. Maybe its me. I have tried to research the maker and watch company.

    Its in a silver case which is actually in good condition. The balance is engaged and the movement ticks when moved and quite clean.
    I would be really happy if its the original case.


    Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    9

    Re: Le Locle key set key wind movement. Brand ID? Any help or info

    Quote Originally Posted by 24clocked View Post
    Hello,

    I have a key set key wind Loclel style movement.

    I will upload images as soon as I can.

    Underneath the dial it is marked C. PIGOULOT EBAUCHES with a design which looks like a lion lying down with wings.

    It is also marked VILLIER FIL BESANCON and stamped 63761.

    Can anyone confirm this is from Les Chaux de Fonds.

    The movement looks quite simple a standard looking Le Locle finger bridge movement.

    Any information on the maker would be appreciated.

    Internet searches really find nothing. Maybe its me. I have tried to research the maker and watch company.

    Its in a silver case which is actually in good condition. The balance is engaged and the movement ticks when moved and quite clean.
    I would be really happy if its the original case.


    Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

    Pw Photos by clocked24 | Photobucket

    case is quite worn but no major damage.

    Found it this morning at a flea market. The crystal was out, the hands were loose. The dial was flapping around. And the hour wheel loose inside. I removed the movement, cleaned the case, re-positioned the hour wheel and hands. put it back together wound it a few turns off it went. Its 5 minutes fast over two hours. Has not stopped ticking.

    Lovely little watch especially for 5 Euros, Im really happy with it. I forgot to take a picture before I put the dial back in place. So you guys can see the makers mark. I could remove the dial to get a shot of the plate should it be required.

    thanks

  3. #3
    Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,601

    Re: Le Locle key set key wind movement. Brand ID? Any help or info

    Overall the evidence would appear to be pointing towards it being a French watch. But bear in mind that Brescanon and Chaux de Fonds are quite close together and political borders drawn on maps aside are likely to have a large degree of cross fertilization of watch making traditions. The Swiss are also quite well known for buying ebauches from the French.

    With regards the case - there is a small hallmark on the caseback which I can't quite make out but if it is a crab then that would confirm the case as being French. There is another hallmark on the case rim which I also can't make out in your photo. The shape of the Makers mark certainly points towards it being French.


  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    9

    Re: Le Locle key set key wind movement. Brand ID? Any help or info

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Overall the evidence would appear to be pointing towards it being a French watch. But bear in mind that Brescanon and Chaux de Fonds are quite close together and political borders drawn on maps aside are likely to have a large degree of cross fertilization of watch making traditions. The Swiss are also quite well known for buying ebauches from the French.

    With regards the case - there is a small hallmark on the caseback which I can't quite make out but if it is a crab then that would confirm the case as being French. There is another hallmark on the case rim which I also can't make out in your photo. The shape of the Makers mark certainly points towards it being French.

    Yes your correct the hallmark depicts a little crab.

    So ebauches are movements supplied to another maker for finishing? or casing is that correct?

    Does anyone have a rough idea of the age? Key wind = pre 1870s?

    Also would it be best to try and fit a new crystal or could I polish the existing?


    thanks

  6. #5
    Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,601

    Re: Le Locle key set key wind movement. Brand ID? Any help or info

    Quote Originally Posted by 24clocked View Post
    Yes your correct the hallmark depicts a little crab.

    So ebauches are movements supplied to another maker for finishing? or casing is that correct?

    Does anyone have a rough idea of the age? Key wind = pre 1870s?

    Also would it be best to try and fit a new crystal or could I polish the existing?


    thanks
    Yes that would be correct. These were typically bought as parts by the ebauche maker who would assemble them and sell them on. Ebauches could be the raw plates with no gears right through to the finished article.

    Buyers might finish or modify them or just case them up. The ebauche still could have come from Switzerland but it appears that the finisher and caster was French.

    Crystals can be polished or replaced but glass can be hard to polish. Crystals like this are a service item and not signed so I see no issue in replacing if you can find a suitable replacement.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •