Is it a LeCoultre - Page 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Is it a LeCoultre

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Is it a LeCoultre

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    I think it's "Armida."
    That's it, definitely. Searching around a bit, I found some early 20th century Armida pocket watches that are similar, though not identical. I didn't find anything about a LeCoultre-Armida connection, and a lot of these movements look superficially similar. It would probably help if the OP could find a LeCoultre-marked movement that is identical to this one, not just generally of the same appearance.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

The dial is OK.
    These ugly red 13...24 numerals can be found widely on 1910-20's pocket watch dials.
    Many small "horological depots" were put these added numerals on plain enamel dials.
    Sealilng vax (shellac) based red paint is rather stable, but can be removed with spirits.

About the movement.. one can find the same movement layout with "LeCoultre & Co" signature, so it is called "LeCoutre base calibre".
    I guess LeCoultre was selling template sets for mass-production companies.
    Last edited by german; March 6th, 2017 at 02:33.
    badbackdan likes this.

It is armida. I have search for any pocketwatch named armida but cannot find any. But when I search for lecoultre, I find the exact same type of movement as an unmarked lecoultre. There are some numbers on the case. A 3 and a 79. On the movement under the mainspring, there is a 33 and one other number I cannot recall.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The dial is porcelain. And those ugly red numbers will rub off.
    badbackdan likes this.

It is porcelain.

I was told the case is sterling silver but I see no markings. Haven't had it tested yet.

Quote Originally Posted by olegeezer View Post
    It is armida. I have search for any pocketwatch named armida but cannot find any.
    Strange, if I type "armida pocket watch" into Google, I get dozens of hits, including photos, eBay listings and even previous Watchuseek threads. Presumably the watch was sold by Armida, who may have purchased a movement/ebauche from LeCoultre.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

this movement was made by a ebauches of HP Hippolyte Parrenin Villers le Lac France

<<Ernest Jacquat (1869-1939), in Villars sur Fontenais, the eldest brother of Celestin (1884-1952), is the holder of the Fama, Armida, Carmen, Muguet brands with the name of "E. Jacquat & Cie" . Of Jules Metthée. Silver medal at Thun in 1899 and gold at Porrentruy in 1902.Fabrique de montresE. Jacquat & Cie ", Succ. Of Jules MetthéeVillars on FontenaisErnest took over the undertaking of Jules Metthée, his maternal grandfather (Ernest's mother is Rosalie Metthée (1847-1924), wife of Henri Célestin (1836-1896), the company having been Founded in 1864.Fabrique de montresE Jacquat & Cie ", Successor of Jules Metthée de Villars>>
    regards enrico
    Last edited by eri231; March 4th, 2017 at 08:08.

Hi mkws. I did find a similar movement on ebay a seller had listed. Under the mainspring cover of his, it was marked lecoultre. Nothing else. It was identical to this armada except mine does not have a mark under the mainspring cover. I did not attempt to look under other parts because I do not want to damage the movement. So I still don't know if it is lecoultre or a lecoultre based caliber. All I know is it is set up just like a lecoultre movements I have seen on ebay. So do I call it a lecoultre like movement???

Just my opinion, but if it can't be positively identified as a LeCoultre it shouldn't be described as one. If it is identical to a LeCoultre ebauche it could be described as a possible LeCoultre ebauche.

Without a positive identification you would be misleading yourself and others. It could have a marking on the top plate.
    mkws and badbackdan like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information