LeCoultre Futurematic
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JohnF

Thread: LeCoultre Futurematic

LeCoultre Futurematic

Hi,

Have been trying to purchase one of this watch from the ebay and came across a total of 3 types (different color/dial).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110080187222
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-LeCoultre-...hippingPayment
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-LeCoul...QQcmdZViewItem

Can expert here advise me on LeCoultre Futurematic? Does anybody know what is the possible trading price for this watch?

Many many thanks for any kind of advise.

Re: LeCoultre Futurematic

Hi -

I'm not an expert on Futurematics by any stretch of the imagination, but here's my take. No promises, though.

First, the Futurematics were early to late 1950s. There were two calibres, the 497 bumper automatic (which are the ones you link to) and the 817, which used a color porthole to show the winding status. The 497 is, I think, more attractive than the 817. Most parts should be interchangeable, and the model number is engraved on the main plate.

There is no crown to the right, but rather on the back of the watch. Quite a remarkable design, as they should also hack (i.e. the movement stops when you're setting the time). Very "Futuristic", hence the name.

My Shugart's "Complete Price Guide To Watches" shows prices ranging from $400 to over $1000, but it's from 2005 and those numbers are probably higher by now.

The 497 is an interesting movement. The bumper automatic only moves through an arc of 90°, winding in both directions. The rotor is suspended both above and below the movement, meaning that both sides of the rotor are supported, eliminating the possibility of lateral movement, which is always otherwise a problem with automatics and their rotors. Eliminating this means that the calibre will be more robust, as a shock impulse will not end with the rotor moving laterally and hitting the case or back. As far as I know, only the original automatic, the Harwood, also had this feature.

When you take the watch off, it will continue to run until there is about 6 hours of time-keeping left, then the balance will disengage; when you pick up the watch, it will immediately start running again (but you will need to reset the time!) with a decent power reserve.

Rumor has it that Le Coultre never made money on the watch, but rather lost money on each and every sale, as the calibre was frighteningly complex and overengineered. Oh, and the Futurematics were usually labeled only "Le Coultre" (as opposed to Jaeger LeCoultre) and were US-Market only. The watch, after all, was introduced in 1953, and given the conditions in Europe at the time the US market was targeted. There are supposed to be a few labelled "Jaeger LeCoultre" out there. The movements were sent to the US seperately and cased in the US for import duty purposes.

Futurematics should have what are called dauphin hands.

Now, lest you think I know everything about Futurematics, I don't: this stuff I gleaned from a number of different web pages after searching Google using "Le Coultre Futurematic". This forum here should also help you out, especially if you get one and it needs repairs...

JohnF
    Bill Adler and harryst like this.
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thank you very much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

You're welcome! And welcome as well to the vintage forum: there is never ever anything as a stupid question...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Here is a link to some good information on the Futurematics.

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/br...13/future.html

There is a second model with "Portholes", cal. 817 that is much rarer than the twin-dialled models. You'll see both versions on the site.

I have an example of both models. They are incredibly accurate watches, even by today's standards. But they are difficult and expensive to fix, so be sure you are getting one in good shape.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

It seems like there are many different types of dial for this model?
    Any website that give guidance on Lecoultre serial number?:thanks

Hi -

That's one of the sites I stole all my information from as well: they did a great job.

The maintenance problem is not one to be ignored...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help. I was warned as well on the how "well-being" of the watch and also the repair services which is available to the user.....

In general, it is true that all vintage watches with power reserve is hard to maintain?

Hi -

Goodness no! The power reserve indicator is just a small piece of metal attached to a strangely-shaped cog that fits into the watch and moves according to how the central spindle of the mainspring moves. That's sort of trivial, but does take some care in making and maintaining.

I think the Futurematics, on the other hand, were overengineered, i.e. implemented things differently - the 90° bumber automatic, for instance - not for the sake of being significantly better, but rather to achieve a further increase in efficiency at the cost of being mechanically more difficult to build and maintain.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thread Information