LeCoultre tank watch, 1944
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Lothianjavert
  • 1 Post By Dr.Fu Manchu

Thread: LeCoultre tank watch, 1944

LeCoultre tank watch, 1944

This watch belonged to my husband's grandfather. It had been tucked away and more or less forgotten about until I started to get into watches and he pulled it out. It runs but desperately needs a good cleaning. The plan is to save up and have it properly serviced. It would be nice if the dial can be cleaned, but if not the patina still has a nice feel. A new crystal would go far to improve it as the crystal is badly scuffed. I am not familiar with LeCoultre at all and would love to learn more.

busmatt, James A and cd1963 like this.

Re: LeCoultre tank watch, 1944

Very nice watch! I don't know that I would call it a Tank, they are more rectangular. The dial could use a little cleaning around the edges but the middle looks very good. If the crystal is acrylic and not cracked you may be able to polish out the scratches to great effect. A clean crystal will do wonders for an old watch! Good luck
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

The movement looks like a sub-second version of this one:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: LeCoultre 450
    LeCoultre was essentially the name under which Jaeger-LeCoultre watches were sold in the US. The case is solid gold, so it seems. "Apex" is the case manufacturer, looks like it- movements with dials were imported into the US and cased there. That was in order to import these as "watch parts", duties on which were much lower than on complete watches.
    As to the JLC company... It hardly needs introducing. It's a well-known high-end brand, known for its great movements- which they supplied to brands like Patek Philippe, Vacheron & Constantin, Audemars Piguet... And known for truly iconic watches like the Reverso and the Memovox. Googling out these phrases will easily show you why
    I would suggest to leave the dial untouched- it looks great as it is now. Also, don't wind it until you get it serviced- the oils that lubricate the movement are probably long gone. Well, they're there, but it's dense grease now.
    On the photos it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the crystal- no cracks that I can see. If there are no cracks, you can simply have it polished. If there are, change it. Neither of the options is particularly costly or difficult.
    Anyway- a truly beautiful piece... And, a solid gold LeCoultre is a great heirloom. Have it serviced, and enjoy it.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  WP_20150322_16_09_44_Pro[1].jpg
Views: 173
Size:  1.32 MB

Looks like similar movement I have in mine.
    saxoo likes this.

Thread Information