Life without my 'Polerouter'......

Thread: Life without my 'Polerouter'......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Life without my 'Polerouter'......

Evening Gents,

After the disaster with the Polerouter, which I have just sold off at a loss (was very honest in my listing!!), I have reinvested some of the money in 2 other wreckless buys.... ever an optamist!

Neither are here yet, but thought I would post some 'sellers' pics for initial thoughts!

First, this Helvetia:

No movement pics... seller says its running... but running fast!!

Will see what turns up!

The next up is this 'Favre Leuba' as the seller had listed it...... did then mention Zenith in the description!

This was bit more of a risk.... Only saw this today on my lunch break. It was described as 'recently running' but has now stopped... But from doing a quick search on my lunch, found this thread posted over a year ago...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/well-used-favre-leuba-zenith-402651.html

This highlighted my concern... I could see in the pic, there was somthing not quite right with the balance cock... something looked like it was missing.... even though the index was still there... and from seeing the thread, what i can assume is part of the regulation is missing.....

And after reading the thread.... Im hoping Radger or hartmut can point me in the right direction for parts....

Any thoughts on either welcome... and as im out of my comfort zone with these (collecting from an earlier period than my standard 70s) Im more than happy for you to pick holes in what I bought... Im getting used to it!!!

hopefully will get them for the weekend!

Cheers,

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: Life without my 'Polerouter'......

Well I don't want to appear to critical or else I'll end up being labeled a grumpy, cynical old git. So
    I'll concentrate on the good points..
    ...errr there is none.

Only kidding Sparcster hahaha

The dial on the Helvetia isn't the black german army style you'ld expect on a DH watch apart
    from that I can't say much more except the dial looks to be from the late foties early fifties.

The F.L Zenith looks like a good restoration candidate, dial looks good and it looks original.
    As you suspect, the movement is missing the snail cam regulator and the outer case back is detatched.
    Ebay is the best source for old Zenith movements such as these, they come up surprisingly regularly and
    is the place to get the parts you need.

Thought you were MIA for a little while.

Sorry about the polerouter saga. I like the Zenith, be interesting to see closeups. Of course the snail cam is not needed for the watch to run. You will need the regulator spring, screws and cam - so as Radger says, whole movement from the 'bay is your best chance.

K.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=radger;4386612]Well I don't want to appear to critical or else I'll end up being labeled a grumpy, cynical old git. So
    I'll concentrate on the good points..
    ...errr there is none.

Only kidding Sparcster hahaha

The dial on the Helvetia isn't the black german army style you'ld expect on a DH watch apart
    from that I can't say much more except the dial looks to be from the late foties early fifties.

QUOTE]

Hi radger,

You had got me slightly worried there....

As for the helvetia, I to have not seen this 'white dial' in a DH case... the watch could be 1 of a few things... Recased, redialed (to say a different dial has been put on) along with the hands, non DH watch (DH added later)... hopefully the movement will help with this.... I did a quick search but could not find much... there are a few Helvetia DH's out there with white dials... but i need to get in my hands on it first!

As for the zenith... Im seeing it as a project.... (as with the Helvetia).... The whole Polerouter thing has really knocked me! The experience has not been a good one! Im clearing out a big chunk of watches and will look to hold buying any more for a while! Instead, I will go back to teaching myself watch repair.... equally as costly! As Trim knows (as I was pestering him for info) I had got to the stage of dismantling and reassembling basic movements... but need to spend out on a few more tools, cleaning fluid.... etc! I still have a lot to learn!!!

I will keep an eye out on the bay for Zenith Movements!!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Thought you were MIA for a little while.

Sorry about the polerouter saga.
    I was!

had a couple of weddings to go to..... But Like I say above, The 'polerouter sage' has put a slight dampener on watches!

Im going to put my buying on hold for a while and step back from it! The hard thing with that is I need to stop looking!!

I did not go out to buy those watches really.... they just seemed interesting!

I have also picked up a Buren WWW last week - will post at some point!

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Sad to hear about the unhappy ending with the polerouter. Your two new watches look very nice. I did see the F-L Zenith, but passed because the snail cam was missing. Here's the movement of my Zenith trench watch for comparison:

"Civilization gets what it wants, is willing to pay for, and ultimately deserves".

Two very interesting watches. I'm not well up on military pieces, but there are some examples of DH watches with white dials to be found on the net e.g. GERMAN MILITARY WATCH.COM

Anyway, let's hope these two turn out well.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Two very interesting watches. I'm not well up on military pieces, but there are some examples of DH watches with white dials to be found on the net e.g. GERMAN MILITARY WATCH.COM

Anyway, let's hope these two turn out well.
    Cheers Marrick,

The difference being the Helvatia, there is a certain lack of Lume.... to both dial and hands! Thats not to say I have not seen Mil watches like this also..... I am comparing to the classic Pilot design - Like you see with the 6B omegas.

WW2 RAF AM 6B/159 PILOTS ISSUE OMEGA 30T2 WRISTWATCH IN GWO GENUINE 1940'S ISSUE | eBay

But I have not seen a watch like this with sub seconds.....

The case markings and fixed lugs points to (German) military.... but the dial/hands less so!

Very Nice JL.... dont suppose you want to give me that snail cam.......

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Very Nice JL.... dont suppose you want to give me that snail cam.......Marc
    You suppose correctly. But it was worth a try ;)
    "Civilization gets what it wants, is willing to pay for, and ultimately deserves".

Note that this isn't a D..H watch, its a DI..H watch. According to my sole Military watch reference, the DI..H marking is "...found on non-waterproof wristwatches with sweeping centre seconds used for surveillance purposes, c. 1943"
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information