Limit of Switzerland
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Limit of Switzerland

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Limit of Switzerland

Hi all. O recently came across a watch and bought it for $2 at a thrift store. It is a vintage (looks 1930's-1940's ish) but I know it's more like 60's. Anyway, it's a manual wind (I'll get a pic tomorrow as it is 2:00AM here and I'm writing this from my bed on my iPod haha). I was just wondering if anyone here had heard of the brand and could provide any info on them. I know there's two "limit's" one is "limit of Switzerland" and the other is "limit international" or something like that. Mine runs on an FHF 69-21 that beats at the high rate (for the time) 21,600 BPH. It's very accurate and I love the sound of it lol. Anyway, any info on the brand would be great. Thanks!

Btw I looked them up and i see a new limit brand but I think they are a complete separate company than the one mine is. Mine being the "of Switzerland"
    Stratocasters Rock!

Re: Limit of Switzerland

Hi

Limit is a British company Limit Watches Limit Watches - Our history - still going. It changed its name from Limit of Switzerland to Limit International when it moved from having watches assembled in Switzerland and instead had them made in the Far East. Tons of them - old and new - around over here. It sounds like you got a bargain.
    Champagne InHand likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Where do you think this brand would fall (back in the 60s) in the watch industry? What companies should they be compared to? Bulova? Benrus? Tissot? Helbros?
    Stratocasters Rock!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well not Tissot - they were a premium brand back then - and the other 3 are US brands so I'm not sure. But I suppose, like Benrus and Helbros they used decent quality Swiss movements and aimed at the mass market. If I recall correctly, Limit were sold through catalogues (aka catalogs)as well as jewellery chains.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Well not Tissot - they were a premium brand back then - and the other 3 are US brands so I'm not sure. But I suppose, like Benrus and Helbros they used decent quality Swiss movements and aimed at the mass market. If I recall correctly, Limit were sold through catalogues (aka catalogs)as well as jewellery chains.
    Thanks for all the info! I hope it runs well. It has the FHF 6921 "high beat" (21,600 in the 60s) movement.
    Stratocasters Rock!

Quote Originally Posted by stratct View Post
    ---------- It has the FHF 6921 "high beat" (21,600 in the 60s) movement.
    My apologies stratct! I've always referred to you in the masculine - I guess I just assumed wrong.

The 59 & 69 FHF's are some of my favorite movements for lady's watches!

p
    Courtesy of ULF.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    My apologies stratct! I've always referred to you in the masculine - I guess I just assumed wrong.

The 59 & 69 FHF's are some of my favorite movements for lady's watches!

p
    lol I just picked this up for my girlfriend! Lol yes sir I'm a dude.
    Stratocasters Rock!

I think I need to make it clear that I'm a male.
    pithy likes this.
    Stratocasters Rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Hi

Limit is a British company Limit Watches Limit Watches - Our history - still going. It changed its name from Limit of Switzerland to Limit International when it moved from having watches assembled in Switzerland and instead had them made in the Far East. Tons of them - old and new - around over here. It sounds like you got a bargain.
    Coming late to this thread but wanted to correct one thing. The name change to international did not mean they stopped making them in Switzerland. I have a 1970's Limit International which is signed at the bottom of the dial. T Swiss Made T

All the best,
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by shandy View Post
    Coming late to this thread but wanted to correct one thing. The name change to international did not mean they stopped making them in Switzerland. I have a 1970's Limit International which is signed at the bottom of the dial. T Swiss Made T
    Strange, there website states that from 1963 they manufactured in UK for 39 years, then moved to Far East (with limited production in UK?).

So by 1970 seems not Switzerland.
    Can you explain?
    Thanks
    A
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information