A little guidance please

Thread: A little guidance please

A little guidance please

I currently have a blue Seamaster, I've had it now about 5 years. I also have a black Invitca that looks like the Submariner. Now I'm wanting to get a watch that has a white type of face. I was looking at the Tissot T17 and T34's, but then started looking at maybe getting a vintage Omega instead. I'm looking at spending around $500. I think I would rather spend the money on an older classy Omega then a new Tissot. What are some tips I should follow when looking for an older omega? Any help is appreciated.

Re: A little guidance please

Welcome. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice from those who collect Omegas shortly.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

Advice? Don't do it. Well, not yet, anyway. Omegas are amongst the nicest watches you can buy. The trouble is that every crook and shyster knows it as well and you need to know your stuff in order to avoid getting ripped off.
    Omega collecting needs study. More than half of the Constellation models on the well known auction site are inautentic in some way from incorrect hands to total fakes. The situation with Seamasters is likely to be as bad.
    THere is a simpler way to get a nice Omega on your wrist. Choose models from the Geneve or deVille line from the early to mid seventies. Avoid calibres 1000 to 1002 but 1012 onward are all right. They are rarely faked or messed about with, being seen as less desirable (but they still have the same engines and in many cases the same cases!) You will find a nice one for half of your budget and you will be able to wear it daily while you go through the obligatory but enjoyable learning curve that is your self defence course.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Tom gave some good advice, and I would extend your target to the mid 60's with the Seamaster De Ville line. The 1000 series from Omega started in 1972, and the older & more desirable 55x non-date / 56x date calibers didn't overlap much. For your target of $500 you could get a very nice example. I sold my manual wind gold capped caliber 611 last year for about $450, and just bought a rare automatic (less than 300 ever made AND a scarce dial) ss caliber 560 for $525 in mint + condition. The combination of the words "Seamaster" and "De Ville" only occured between 1963 and 1967. The US distributor wanted De Ville on the dial even though the models existed since 1960 without that wording, and in '67 the De Ville became it's own separate line due to it's popularity.

Be VERY careful - like Tom said frankens and fakes abound on eBay.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll keep looking and zero my search down to a particular watch I like. From there I'll start weeding out the good ones from the bad one. Is there any references online that detail the vintage Omegas? I just started looking a couple days ago and havent foundm much reference material on the Omegas. I just started looking a couple days ago and haven't found much reference material on the Omegas.

In fact, there is too much out there to read in a lifetime. You need to start googling questions and bookmarking references. Try Omega collectors blogspot
    and spend a few days chasing down the links. That'll keep you out of mischief for a while.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

I just ran a quick search on eBay for Omega Seamaster. There were 908 results for men's watches. I narrowed that down to possible vintage watches. There were 700 auctions available. I clicked on 3 random links. The first random link was a refinished dial that was incorrect. The second random link had the incorrect hands for that year. Posted in the third and final random link was "100% Original Omega - Excellent Condition - Signed 6x - Fully Serviced & Warrantied". However, upon closer inspection the crown is incorrect and it's easily discernible if you know what to look for. A couple of months ago I would have had no clue that it wasn't 100% original. As Tom mentioned you really need to do your homework on vintage Omega watches from the auction sites. I purchased so many books recently to help with my vintage purchases. I think one of the best books I purchased was 'Wristwatches - A Handbook and Price Guide'. It covers many vintage watch brands from the 1920's to the 1970's I believe. Browsing other watch forums is also a big help when buying vintage. Also when buying from eBay make sure to check the sellers feedback and also check to see what other watches they have sold. If possible it's better to buy locally, when I use eBay I only purchase from sellers in the US.
    Last edited by emmanuelgoldstein; June 15th, 2010 at 23:01.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

I was checking ebay for ideas and styles that I really liked, here are a few. I like the stainless watches over the gold. I like the date watches also.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

First one looks a little vigorously overpolished and the second looks like a collection of parts. I have nothing against a refinished dial but like to see a picture of the original so I can make my mind up and there is some mixing of bits in the movement according to Ranfft so, pretty though it undoubtedly is, I'd pass on it.

Banned

The first one appears to be worth bidding on even though Tom's assessment of being overpolished is correct. I'd like the lugs to be crisper but the rest of the watch looks very good.

Pass on the second for sure.

Thread Information