A little help with this IWC
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By RonD.
  • 3 Post By mkws
  • 3 Post By v8chrono
  • 3 Post By shakur123

Thread: A little help with this IWC

A little help with this IWC

I just bought this IWC, It would be a lot of help if you guys could tell me:

1)Is it real or fake? anything especial about it? aproximated value?
    2)If is it real, how can i get a copy from the archives?
    3)How can i adjust the time (i read somewhere that you need to do it right so the mechanism doesnt get damaged)
    4)how often does it need the service?

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  112.1 KBName:  2.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  96.7 KBName:  10.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  154.4 KBName:  11.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  139.4 KB

i really aprecciate your help

regards

Re: A little help with this IWC

La de Da de Dum . . . Oh my!

No idea what pithy's post is supposed to mean, but I'll take a shot at it..

1)Is it real or fake? anything especial about it? aproximated value? Well, it looks like someone took a IWC pocket watch and made a wrist watch out of it. Movement and dial are real, case is not. Giving values on forums is generally against the rules

2)If is it real, how can i get a copy from the archives? Since this is a made up watch from parts, you won't be able to authenticate it.

3)How can i adjust the time (i read somewhere that you need to do it right so the mechanism doesnt get damaged) It's a "pin-set".. you need to push the pin in while turning the hands to set the time.

4)how often does it need the service? Depends on how much you use it. If it hasn't been serviced, get it serviced.. if it has, wait a few years.

My two cents.. well one more cent.. it's a good idea to do all this research before you buy.
    Last edited by RonD.; February 17th, 2017 at 16:49.
    shakur123 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Does the stamp on the movement say "JWC"?
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Don't get me wrong, this definitely looks like an IWC cal 52 movement, but the engraving is unfamiliar.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: IWC 52 19'''H6
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

As others have said, it's a frankenwatch- a so-called Ukraine Special. They are sold mostly from Central/Eastern Europe, mostly Ukraine alright. They're PW movements put in new wrist cases- the original case was most likely scrapped for the gold/silver.

Approximate value? We don't do valuations here, but as it is with every frankenwatch of this sort, the answer is: a fraction of what you've paid.

The movement stamp is odd indeed, however Mikrolisk does list a JWC trademark for IWC!
    Name:  bildmarke_iwc6.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  6.5 KB
    According to the description, such a stamp was used between 1895 and 1905.
    Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

The J in JWC most likely refers to IWC's other name- Uhrenfabrik J. Rauschenbach.

According to the Ranfft archive entry, the patent 31457 (three screws holding the ratchet wheel and the crown wheel) was applied for in 1904, so this movement, not using that solution, is likely from earlier than that.

It's a legit movement and dial, and a nice one too. Only it's too bad you got it in a sorry frankenwatch.
    shakur123, badbackdan and Tony C. like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Could we say this movement has been repurposed or resurrected? It sounds a bit kinder than Frankenwatch! I know is not original and purist will shudder but I think it looks great. As long as the buyer knows that the movement has been re-cased, and pays accordingly, I do not see a problem.

Thanks to all!!, the seller was straightforward from the beggining and tell me this was a "marriage watch" (or frankenwatch as you say), he told me that the only non original part was the case and at this point thanks to your help i could verify this.

I think i pay accordingly, personally i love the watch and the fact that the movement its older than me.

Again, thank you all for the help!!.

Thread Information