Longevity
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Longevity

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Longevity

I asked a similar question in a different forum, without much success, so I thought I'd try again here in a slightly different way.

My question is this: if I buy a watch new today, and take good care of it with regular maintenance (but wear it regularly, not just keep it in a drawer), how long can I reasonably expect that it might last? Is it reasonable to think that it could be handed down for many generations in the future (in usable condition and with original parts)?

I would imagine that some parts would break down sooner than others, and would need to be replaced. And I would want to replace them with original parts, which obviously could be a problem in the future as companies stop making them and/or go out of business.

As an example, I own a watch from 1914 that I would like to maintain as a (new) collector, but it is difficult to impossible to get original parts. I can find spare movements, but most often those have parts that are just as worn down as the movement in my watch.

On a related note, if anyone is interested in this topic they may also be interested in a project called the "10,000-year clock" which you can google if you would like to learn about. I have no connection whatsoever to that project, but I believe it raises some very interesting ideas about how we think about and measure time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Longevity

Simple answer would be........... The more expensive the watch and constant supervision of the mechanics (service etc.) the longer the watch will survive.
    Jim44 likes this.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Well, wearing my Lucien Piccard at the moment, had it for just over 55 years.
    Jim44 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are so many uncertainties about the future, that this becomes very speculative. However, I would guess that all things being equal, a high quality modern watch should last longer than a watch made in the past. Modern watches often use advanced materials, and I suspect that we are getting pretty close to being able to 3D-print replacement parts. Certainly this will be an available option in the near future.
    Jim44 likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

"should last", well, we'll just have to wait around and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    There are so many uncertainties about the future, that this becomes very speculative. However, I would guess that all things being equal, a high quality modern watch should last longer than a watch made in the past. Modern watches often use advanced materials, and I suspect that we are getting pretty close to being able to 3D-print replacement parts. Certainly this will be an available option in the near future.
    Jim44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    "should last", well, we'll just have to wait around and see.
    I'm just trying to make it to the next eclipse.
    marks55, simpletreasures and Jim44 like this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It is impossible to be certain but, unless it's a sensitive movement (tourbillons? extra slim watches?), if not dunked in water (delete if waterproof), slammed against a wall or dropped from a height, it might get scratched but it will certainly outlive you! Even if worn daily (except during servicing). The trouble is that under those conditions, one can never be certain that all accidents (see above) will be avoided.....

Hartmut Richter
    Jim44 likes this.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Certainly 3D printing could have an impact, and I suppose this would get to the question of what an "original" part is and whether or not that is even important (it is to me, but not sure I have a good explanation as to why). Also, as parts get replaced at what point is the original watch no longer the original watch? (Not to get to philosophical here, but it seems to me this is similar to the question of what makes you the same person as the kid you once were, since (almost?) all of the cells in your body have been replaced over the years)

In any case I would be interested to hear from watchmakers and/or hobbyists with experience: which parts of a (e.g. simple - say time and date- modern automatic) watch tend to wear out more quickly? In other words, which spare parts would it be helpful to have around for future use?

Also, are people aware of any pocket watches that exist in essentially original, working condition (although obviously with some wear) that are more than, say, 150 years old? I know there are some wristwatches like that from the early 20th century, but from my (very limited) experience those are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    It is impossible to be certain but, unless it's a sensitive movement (tourbillons? extra slim watches?), if not dunked in water (delete if waterproof), slammed against a wall or dropped from a height, it might get scratched but it will certainly outlive you! Even if worn daily (except during servicing). The trouble is that under those conditions, one can never be certain that all accidents (see above) will be avoided.....

Hartmut Richter
    Excellent point you raise; given enough time, I suppose, the only certainty is that some accident will happen eventually (unless the asteroid strikes first :). Or that some n'er-do-well descendent will sell it at a pawnshop for quick cash...

I do wonder, though, if it is at all realistic to hope that a watch could last for, say, 200-300 years

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I do wonder, though, if it is at all realistic to hope that a watch could last for, say, 200-300 years
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/how...h-4519689.html
    Jim44 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information