longines 1974 9ct gold

Thread: longines 1974 9ct gold

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

longines 1974 9ct gold

Hi,
    I have just started to collect vintage watches and would appreciate any help you can give me. Longines have caught my eye, is there any tell-tale signs to watch out for with regard to fakes? Can you recommend any research aids either online or not?
    Also does anyone have any idea about a model name for the following? And if genuine?
    Thanks!
    Movement: 17 jewel LONGINES cal.847.3 hand-winding in great working condition keeping accurate time, recently serviced.
    Dial: genuine LONGINES in mint condition
    Case: 9ct SOLID GOLD case, fully hallmarked for LONDON 1974. Diameter 32mm without the crown.
    Crown: genuine LONGINES signed.
    Strap: brand new leather lizard skin imitation.
    Glass: mineral in mint condition
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: longines 1974 9ct gold

I know of no 17 jeweled winder fakes in any brand... and this certainly is not one.

Nice watch!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

This site is just about Longines:

http://www.vintagewatchresources.com/index.php

Longines from that period are unlikely to be fakes, but you are right to be cautious. If the movement is right and its age matches the age of the case (within a year or so, movements might have been cased a while after being built) then its probably fine.

Longines serial numbers here:

http://www.brittons-watches.co.uk/ne...e_Longines.asp

(note - sometimes such lists differ slightly from one another)

That watch looks very nice.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thanks! I imagine collecting vintage watches is a bit of a minefield. Is there anything in particular I should be wary of?

Yes, its a minefield!

• If you collect very cheap watches, like most of mine, bear in mind that getting watches fixed can cost more than they're worth. or be impossible if obscure. So go for pieces that are working, and preferably have been serviced.
    • If you want to collect more expensive pieces, there's more incentive for dishonest people to con you. The most problematic brand is the highly desirable Omega - where some less attractive models can be altered to seem like more valuable ones. Repair costs can be even higher as premium brands like Omega restrict spare part availablity.
    • Some people replace a broken watch movement with one from a different make, or otherwise cobble together a watch from various parts (dial, movement, case). These are termed 'marriages' or 'frankenwatches'.
    • Read this forum regularly - you'll learn a lot.

This is a good article:

http://thewatchguy.homestead.com/pages/ebayinfo.html
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

As stated in this forum you cannot give valuations on individual pieces which is understandable. However is there a ballpark figure for vintage longines in good working order i.e £100-200 etc? I am not looking to sell on the watches I buy but would at least like to know I am not paying over the odds. Obviously shops sell them at higher prices but is it worth using their prices as a guideline minus say £50-100?

Quote Originally Posted by watchingtheworldgoby View Post
    As stated in this forum you cannot give valuations on individual pieces which is understandable. However is there a ballpark figure for vintage longines in good working order i.e £100-200 etc? I am not looking to sell on the watches I buy but would at least like to know I am not paying over the odds. Obviously shops sell them at higher prices but is it worth using their prices as a guideline minus say £50-100?
    Your best bet is to search completed ebay auctions, or other auctions for something similar as what you have.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Do your own market research on listings on eBay. (Search for Longines and further description in the wristwatches category and use the date classification to exclude recent times.) Those will give you the low end. As a rule of thumb, a good condition piece properly serviced by a reputable vendor will cost two or three times as much.

Really rare and sought after pieces are a separate world of which I know nothing.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Banned

Hi,
    I have just started to collect vintage watches and would appreciate any help you can give me. Longines have caught my eye, is there any tell-tale signs to watch out for with regard to fakes? Can you recommend any research aids either online or not?
    Get used to the fonts Longines used on their dials. They're very repetitive. For instance, starting in the mid 50's the word "Automatic" almost always looked the same well on their self-winding watches into the 70's, with the "C" on the end dropping below the rest of the letters.

1964/5

196x (mid-late 60's)

There are exceptions of course, but the key is knowing what is correct and what isn't. This only comes with experience - no shorcuts that I know of sadly.

195x (early 50's)

The only site I've seen that may help is this one: http://www.vintagewatchresources.com...wse=model_name. The pictures are sketchy and some of the information may be wrong, but it's the best out there as far as I know.

Also does anyone have any idea about a model name for the following? And if genuine?
    That's certainly authentic and looks original. The 9ct case is a tell tale sign of being made in Britain, and the Baume on the inside of the caseback confirms it. They received bare Longines movements from the factory for decades and installed them into their cases as part of a partnership to avoid import tariffs.

Thanks for the information..How come mine doesn't have "automatic" written on the dial? Plus what does "Baume" stand for or represent?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information