Longines advice needed
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 707mm2

Thread: Longines advice needed

Longines advice needed

I am new to the watch addiction and know very little about vintages. My dad gave me a few vintage watches (croton, timex, nicolet, and benrus) that were left in a box for years. The Longines seemed the most interesting as far as brands go. The dial is in the worst shape and it looks like its missing a jewel at the balance wheel. I need help in deciding if this watch is worth refinishing the dial and getting the movement serviced and running? I have no emotional attachment to this watch but I like the style of the dial but it is in bad shape!
    Name:  20190620_164915.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  736.7 KBName:  20190612_215327.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  662.8 KBName:  20190612_215342.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  249.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Longines advice needed

Welcome to the addiction, and it definitely is one, but fairly a harmless one. :)

Here is some more information about your movement:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Longines 12L

I was hoping there would be some inexpensive parts movement listed on eBay but no luck right now. I'd hold off on the redial until you can get the movement taken care of, and you might even get lucky and find a parts movement with a dial. Most collectors tend to frown on redials and prefer originality. Your dial has obviously seen better days but I actually kind of like it.

Your regulator looks different than the other 12L movement I'm looking at so I'm not sure what is missing or what may have been done to it in the past.

Hopefully some Longines experts (I am not one) will chime in.

Have fun!

Thanks for your response. My first step will be to take it to a local watch maker. If it gets to running again then I will need to make a decision on the dial. I love the style of the dial it just looks bad. I'm not sure at what point is refinishing the prudent decision.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The main problem is that your watch uses a different kind of antishock protection than normal and exactly which one is hard to say as a number of versions look much the same.

DON

I think I counted 6 different types of 12L regulator bridges, but found a similar watch as yours. Not really sure where your going to find the part unless you can find a parts movement or email Longines and see if they have replacements

Parts supplier might have

Will need 2? jewels and shock spring

DON

Hi,
    You can also look in most Longines 12 lignes family like 12.68Z, 12.68ZS, 12.68N, 27M, 27MS, 27.0 and 27.0S, as they all may have used at some point this "Super shock-resist" system and they all used the same jewel set. But it is sadly one of the rarest shock protection used on Longines, only used briefly between the more common classic "Shock-resist" in the 1940s and the "Incabloc" in the 1950s.

Anyway, to me this watch is worth taking care of, this may be the highest grade watch your dad had. The late 12L were sold as "tool" watches with rugged waterproof cases, luminous dial and hands, high grade shock proof movement with Breguet hairspring (you should look too if the hairspring isn't damaged). Early ones had a more simple snap back case. I think this late model may be one of the last 12L, later center-seconds steel Longines of the 1950s had a more basic 12.68ZS calibre or smaller (23ZS, 22LS,...).
    Also, note that the 12L was only designated as such in the US market, other countries had the 12.68N/12.68ZS designation, but all three are the same caliber, the only differences being that the 12.68N can be find with either Breguet or flat hairsprings, while it seems the 12L only had Breguet and the 12.68ZS only flat.
    SunnyOrange likes this.

Thanks for all the help with this Watch. I'll do some looking. It will need hands as well as they were corroded and falling apart. It was in my dad's possession but not his watch. It was in a box that his grandfather had. He owned a pawnshop years ago and this could have been inventory that was not working.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

you could just sell it, it will suck lots of money and look damaged with current dial or funny with refinished one
    Chaos is my focus

Thread Information