Longines Case Question

Thread: Longines Case Question

Longines Case Question

I think I may have found the watch that is my personal grail. The attached picture borrowed from Scubawatch.org shows a Longines UltraChron Diver. I really like minamalist treatment of the 7970-1 case. I would like to know what other lines the case was used in? I think I've seen an Admiral Five and a Record that used the same case. I have also heard that some Admiral divers used the 431 movement. The Adimral Five I saw had a 505 movement is this movement completely different than the 431?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Re: Longines Case Question

The 505 was not a true in-house Longines movement. It's based on a Record movement (caliber 1955 or 1958 I think - I'm at work away from my reference material). Even though Longines had owned Record since 1961, that series isn't as sought after as the 431 which is in-house. The 505 was a standard 19,800 bph but the 431 was a high beat 36,000 bph. Some of these automatic Admirals and Flagships had the 664x and 665x inside - 28,800 bph versions of the 431 that were introduced in 1972 after Longines realized the maintenance issues with 36,000 bph movements. All were identical to the 430 series except for the wheel train ratios. Similar cases were used in the 70's for a few of their watches including some caliber 33x (Valjoux 72) chronographs. Nice watch. They usually sell in the neighborhood of $1100 - $2000 depending on condition, movement (chronos get the upper part of that range), and whether or not box & papers comes with it.

Re: Longines Case Question

Very nice competition to the Seamaster!

Thread Information