Longines Chronograph 19.73N - Jewels

Thread: Longines Chronograph 19.73N - Jewels

Longines Chronograph 19.73N - Jewels

I recently obtained a Longines Chronograph 19.73N Made in 1899.
    I always try to take note of all the details with regards to my purchases. Because of the compexity of the movement i cannot determine the number of jewels in this movement. I would be obliged if anyone can assist.

Re: Longines Chronograph 19.73N - Jewels

Your movement probably has 19 jewels, however, are you sure that it is a 19.73N?

I believe that the Longines 19.73N is a Split-Second (Rattrapante) Chronograph movement which your movement does not seem to be. See the link below:

Longines 19.73N

Perhaps you have a 19.73 or 19.73A.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Your movement probably has 19 jewels, however, are you sure that it is a 19.73N?

I believe that the Longines 19.73N is a Split-Second (Rattrapante) Chronograph movement which your movement does not seem to be. See the link below:

Longines 19.73N

Perhaps you have a 19.73 or 19.73A.
    I contacted longines with regard to this watch and provided them with pics. In their reply they stated that it was a L19.73N movement and was invoiced to Baume & Co London on the 20th Oct 1899. So now i am confused!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,

One of the directors of Longines was Arthur Baume from London. Whose Baume & CO firm in London, was the agency and only disributor for Longines in England .Baume marketed their own watches and the Longines one.

Regards

Here is a Longines 19.73N movement with the "split second" feature (which uses two chronograph hands) identified by the notation "19.73N" by the balance.

Note the case button at the upper-left in the picture for activating the "split second" feature.

Note the "19.73N" at the upper-left in the picture.

This movement has the "split second" function and you will notice the differences between this movement and yours. I notice that your case does seem to have a button between 10 & 11 o'clock. This would be the method for activating the "split second" function.

What did you give to Longines to identify the watch? The case serial number? If so the case may originally have been for a 19.73N with the split seconds feature but the movement may have been replaced later. Another possibility is that the 19.73N was made with and without the "split-second" (Rattrapante) feature. This may indeed be the case, but why then would your case have the button for activating the feature?

Yes, this is confusing. If anyone knows more on this subject feel free to weigh in.

This is a copy of the letter received from Longines.

(Dear Mr. Kennedy,
    Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Longines watch you enquired about in July last. We can but repeat the information given in our reply to your enquiry; i.e.

We have pleasure in giving you below the information we found in our old, hand-written production register regarding your watch
    # 999167 Longines pocket watch in silver.
    It has a high quality Swiss watch movement of the calibre type L 19.73 N Chronograph with 30-minutes-counter.
    Year of manufacturing is 1899 - it was invoiced on 21st October 1899 to Messrs Baume & Co in London who were then our agents for the U.K.
    The inscription/dedication From Sir Charles & Lady Cayzer 25th December 1899 was added later on by the jeweller. .
    We confirm this watch to be an authentic Longines watch.
    You ask for the case maker? The watch case was made by Longines, obviously.
    We do neither send out copies of the production register as they are hand-written, in French, often difficult to read. Shall make an exception and send you a copy. Shall join a leaflet on the Longines Museum to give you an idea of the dimension of our production ledgers. In earlier years, they used to work with boxes of 6 pieces each (the dozen, etc.) later on, with boxes of 10 pieces ( it was easier for the statistics.) In the document, you will receive they used to work with boxes of 6 watches of the same type, i.e. 999167/68/69/70/71/72 were the same.
    Hope this information is convenient to you, we remain on your disposal and send you our best regards, )

Thread Information