Longines 'Grand Prize'

Thread: Longines 'Grand Prize'

Longines 'Grand Prize'

Hello all, I am thinking of buying a simple, silver-dialed automatic Longines 'Grand Prize' (no date) for about $280.

Does anyone have an opinion on either the model itself or the price?

I have been doing so hunting on the net, and it looks as though the 'Grand Prize' was an entry level model. Nonetheless, I would be curious to know if you have any opinions one way or another.

This would be my first vintage watch, so please have some patience with me!

Thanks!
    Last edited by ibodhidogma; April 14th, 2010 at 16:49.

Re: Longines 'Grand Prize'

Here is a pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

They were a little better than entry level. Those lower end watches didn't have any name associated with them. That watch is from the mid 60's and most likely has a caliber 352 inside - a pretty decent movement. However, the dial is not in great shape and the case has a few dings & scratches. For that money you could find a better example.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    They were a little better than entry level. Those lower end watches didn't have any name associated with them. That watch is from the mid 60's and most likely has a caliber 352 inside - a pretty decent movement. However, the dial is not in great shape and the case has a few dings & scratches. For that money you could find a better example.
    Thank you, ulackfocus, for your input. I appreciate it.

The thing is I like the simplicity of this one (no numbers) and the silver color.

Are there many silver dialed ones out there?

Also, do you think offering $200 would be an insult to the seller?
    (He is asking $280 on some vintage watch superstore website).

Attached is a Grand Prize from the same era (1963) with a caliber 350 movement that was in slightly better shape overall than the piece you are looking at. I recently paid much less than 1/2 what your seller is offering.

Note that you will need to factor servicing cost into the purchase, as generally vintage pieces are in need of a service. Anticipate spending about $125+ depending on whether parts or other repair services are warranted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by four of diamonds View Post
    Attached is a Grand Prize from the same era (1963) with a caliber 350 movement that was in slightly better shape overall than the piece you are looking at. I recently paid much less than 1/2 what your seller is offering.

Note that you will need to factor servicing cost into the purchase, as generally vintage pieces are in need of a service. Anticipate spending about $125+ depending on whether parts or other repair services are warranted.
    Very nice watch, indeed, Four of Diamonds. May I ask where you found it?

And yes, youre' right. I should take into account some money for servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by ibodhidogma View Post
    Very nice watch, indeed, Four of Diamonds. May I ask where you found it?

And yes, youre' right. I should take into account some money for servicing.
    It takes a lot of patience and persistence to track down a particular vintage piece you might be looking for. Typically I shop locally at thrift stores, pawn shops, yard sales and even some jewelers that take trade in watches.

Over time friends and relatives have learned about my hobby and some pieces are offered from that source as well. EBay is another source, however, you need to do your homework before purchasing as even with experience, it is possible to overpay.

My advice is to do your homework before buying, (i.e. about the piece you want to buy, relative pricing, service pricing, condition of the watch, etc) and you will be well rewarded.

Thread Information