Longines I can't identify
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jack Hamner

Thread: Longines I can't identify

Longines I can't identify

I recently bought this old Longines in a thrift shop, but I have looked and looked for an identification and cannot find one. Perhaps if I knew how to get into the watch without damage, that would help. The caseback reads " use 1300 wrench". The dial of this watch is black with white dots covering the bottom two thirds of it's surface. They seem to be original since they are so uniform and well dispersed. There is a diamond (?) chip in a triangle at the 12 0'clock position. If you can help me, I surely would appreciate it!Name:  P1010035.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  219.7 KBName:  P1010036.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  210.3 KBName:  P1010037.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  207.9 KB
    busmatt likes this.

Wink Re: Longines I can't identify

Not sure of the name of this one, but it's remarkably similar to this Ultra Chron. The movement comes out through the front,

after removing the crystal, you can use whatever wrench that is. Mine says to use wrench 1260.

I haven't tried to open it, these front loaders make me nervous . I think the white dots are part of the aging of

the dial. Old Longines seem to do this sort of thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by marks55; July 22nd, 2015 at 17:21.
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

Re: Longines I can't identify

Quote Originally Posted by marks55 View Post
    Not sure of the name of this one, but it's remarkably similar to this Ultra Chron. The movement comes out through the front,

after removing the crystal, you can use whatever wrench that is. Mine says to use wrench 1260.

I haven't tried to open it, these front loaders make me nervous . I think the white dots are part of the aging of

the dial. Old Longines seem to do this sort of thing.

Thanks so much for the information! They do look similar, but yours has all the "right stuff" on the dial! I definitely agree with you about the white spots--under 10X magnification they are definitely tiny corroded spots.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can't recall that an ultrachron came with a day/date wheel-only a date. but the dials seem to be the same and my first impressions were that this is an authentic longines but of what model-can't say. Is it pssible its a quartz? I see the back looks like a SS snap back which would not be the case if it were an ultrachron which would have a top-loading case with a tool/wrench stamp on the back. Movment shot would be helpful. good luck
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

I actually like the dots on the dial, looks kind of like stars in a dark sky. Nice find!
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    I can't recall that an ultrachron came with a day/date wheel-only a date. but the dials seem to be the same and my first impressions were that this is an authentic longines but of what model-can't say. Is it pssible its a quartz? I see the back looks like a SS snap back which would not be the case if it were an ultrachron which would have a top-loading case with a tool/wrench stamp on the back. Movment shot would be helpful. good luck
    Thanks! The back does not come off. I think you get to the works by removing the crystal. The caseback reads 'use 1300 wrench".

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedtowatches View Post
    I actually like the dots on the dial, looks kind of like stars in a dark sky. Nice find!

Thanks!

Thread Information