Longines ID
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Dan S
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Longines ID

Longines ID

Hi, was thinking of buying this watch and would like some opinions on authenticity as well as year/model. The seller is based in Montevideo, Uruguay if that gives any additional clues. Thanks!
    Name:  s-l1600 (21).jpg
Views: 119
Size:  172.1 KBName:  s-l1600 (20).jpg
Views: 114
Size:  252.8 KBName:  s-l1600 (19).jpg
Views: 115
Size:  120.8 KBName:  s-l1600 (18).jpg
Views: 124
Size:  88.3 KBName:  s-l1600 (17).jpg
Views: 122
Size:  104.5 KBName:  s-l1600 (16).jpg
Views: 112
Size:  124.2 KBName:  s-l1600 (15).jpg
Views: 122
Size:  130.3 KBName:  s-l1600 (14).jpg
Views: 120
Size:  192.3 KBName:  s-l1600 (13).jpg
Views: 118
Size:  262.2 KB

Re: Longines ID

I think it looks ok. Obviously, it is SS, not gold as the seller claims (perhaps that is a typo left over from a previous listing because in the rest of the listing, he mentions that it is SS). In his other listings, he is forthcoming about flaws and refinished dials, which is a good sign.

Edit: I doubt there is a specific model name, but I would put it in 1967 or so based on the serial number.
    Last edited by badbackdan; November 24th, 2017 at 20:23.
    mkws and Tony C. like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, this one is a redial, I think. The font looks wrong to me and the subseconds cross and the lettering are definitely lopsided. Only slightly, but still so. The most obvious bit of evidence is that the lower part of the subseconds cross fails to hit exactly the centre of the 6:00 marker.

Hartmut Richter
    kit7 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Well, this one is a redial, I think. The font looks wrong to me and the subseconds cross and the lettering are definitely lopsided. Only slightly, but still so. The most obvious bit of evidence is that the lower part of the subseconds cross fails to hit exactly the centre of the 6:00 marker.

Hartmut Richter
    You are probably right. On some indexes there are traces of paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post

Hartmut Richter
    This was my first impression too, but the movement looks good, and unusually for a hand winder it still has a Longines crown. If the price reflects the re-dial it might still be worthwhile.
    If the seat is wet sit on your hat, a cool head is better than a wet arse.

Hartmut...I think you are right...but: at first glance, the printing is REALLY crisp, is it not?! I was impressed. After reading your comments, I went back, took a longer look, and agree. If whoever re-did this could get their proportions right, it would almost pass for 'real'...! Michael.

Not convinced this one is a redial. The later versions of this reference have a more “open” hourglass logo. The “paint” on the numbers could be just a reflection off the silvered sunburst finish on the dial.

There are a few similar examples here:

Longines 30L | www.Longines30L.com

Type “7855” in the search box.

Sometimes, you have to have the watch in your hands to determine a redial. Here, I just don’t think there is enough evidence either way to make that call.
    gatorcpa

DON

Not 100% this is a redial. Most refinishers will use a simple up/down brush stroke to refinish. This has a sun burst from the center.

The small second pinion is off, but that could be attributed to someone maybe bending a dial post a touch when removing the dial

The 302 is the next in line to the caliber 30L which was similar in size to the Omega 30 mm calibers. They had plainer dials as the movement was developed later than the Omega movements and at a time when the plain 60's styled dials came into being.

There are some 30L with some nicer dials, but few and far between.

Restored a number of the 30L's Good solid movements

DON

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

1. Put a ruler along the top edge of "LONGINES" and see where it hits the indices on the left side vs. on the right side

2. Take a closer look at the downward part of the subseconds cross and see where it hits the index at 6:00

Off track in both cases. Of course, it might have been like that originally - but it would not speak very favourably for those making dials for Longines.....

Hartmut Richter

Sorry. You can’t look at it that way. There is a crystal on the watch that could distort the lines with scratches, etc. Also, the picture could be slightly off-center.

You must see it in person when it is not obvious. We all agree it is not obvious.
    gatorcpa

Thread Information