Longines info and idea of worth wanted

Thread: Longines info and idea of worth wanted

Longines info and idea of worth wanted

My wife works in an old peoples home and one of the residents, Bob, has a few pieces he wants to sell, the Longines being one. I've been entrusted with trying to find out a bit more about them and a rough idea of what they're worth. Bob's a lovely bloke who's got very severe MS which must be extremely frustrating for him. He loves old times pieces and has a beautiful pen collection but his hands have failed him and he no longer can handle them. Obviously I'd like to get as much as possible for him but have absolutely no idea how much they're worth.

Beautiful 9 carat solid gold Longines hand wound.
    Dates from 1972 and is a really lovely understated piece. Cal.284 movement. Original box and buckle.

Very tempted to buy this myself but need an idea of a fair price.

Thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary

Re: Longines info and idea of worth wanted

Hi -

First of all, we don't do valuations online: read the sticky at the top of the forum for the reason why. Not fair to anyone involved.

You'll have to do some searching online elsewhere, I fear.

That said, the fact that there is the original box and the watch is definitely dated (via the engraving) certainly doesn't hurt, and as such Longines are indeed rather nice watches. But if this hasn't been worn - and it looks like it hasn't - then any buyer would need to have the watch serviced, and that is never inexpensive.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Hi John

Sorry about that I didn't know about not doing valuations online. Typical bloke I guess I never read the instruction until it goes pear shaped .

I had it checked out by my watch repairer this afternoon who said it's in fine fettle but could probably do with a service in a year or so. Cost around £45 for a complete service and clean.

Cheers,

Gary

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Your best source of info is probably eBay or one of the many "price guide to watches" books you might find at your local library.
    We simply cannot make a proper valuation over the Internet so our rule is not to try.
    To be honest, the prices that can be obtained for most Vintage watches are so low it's often best simply to hand them on to friends or family members.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Your best source of info is probably eBay or one of the many "price guide to watches" books you might find at your local library.
    We simply cannot make a proper valuation over the Internet so our rule is not to try.
    To be honest, the prices that can be obtained for most Vintage watches are so low it's often best simply to hand them on to friends or family members.
    Thanks Ray and sorry I didn't read your sticky at the top of the page.

Best get googling then.

Cheers,

Gary

Thread Information