longines movement ID

Thread: longines movement ID

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

longines movement ID

Can anyone give me info on this movement. I cant seem to find the Cal #490 on the web anywhere. Is it a common movement. Is it reliable? What is the range of years of manufacture and are there any specific models this movement came with. From the serial number it seems this particular movement was manufactured around 1967

Re: longines movement ID

Quote Originally Posted by Bdel View Post
    Can anyone give me info on this movement. I cant seem to find the Cal #490 on the web anywhere. Is it a common movement. Is it reliable? What is the range of years of manufacture and are there any specific models this movement came with. From the serial number it seems this particular movement was manufactured around 1967
    Hi,

I only found this:

http://hiro.alliancehorlogere.com/en...e/Longines_490

But that's not much. I am pretty sure it is just as reliant as all Longines calibers. I think it has a small second!? I saw references to "Longines Flagship", but I am not really into Longines models. With so little information available, it is probably not their most common movement. But it sure looks nice!

Banned

It was made from the mid/late 60's into the 70's, but I don't have any information on it either. I would guess it was based on a Record movement if it isn't in-house. The shape of the bridges is throwing me off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

I'd agree with that. The bridges, particularly the curvature of the train bridge, look like Record designs. The screw heads are also unlike earlier Longines models.
    A quick look around shows that there are some spares still available. It may have been a fairly short lived model as Longines were probably developing the high beat movements around this time and with the electric watches based on the ESA 9162/4 calibres being due for release, they might have sold comparatively few of these. Serviced, it will probably work well. There are few, if any Longines with poor movements.

This makes some sense since the movement origin was in South america. Did longines add their brand to the movements when they bought the company in 1961?

Banned

This makes some sense since the movement origin was in South america.
    South America? All Longines movements originated in Saint-Imier. It may have been shipped to South America. If it's a gold case, the movement was probably originally in a stainless case but not always. These were then installed into gold cases made locally once they arrived. This saved on import taxes. Any pics of the inside of the caseback? We can tell by the hallmarks.

Did longines add their brand to the movements when they bought the company in 1961?
    Yes, Longines renamed a few of Record's movements with their own model numbers. For example, the 50x automatic calibers were based on the Record 195x series, and the 70x manual wind calibers were based on the Record 65x series.

Yes South America. Isnt S.A the abbreviation for corporation is spanish? Although Tramelan IS in Switzerland. Maybe S.A> also means corp in Swiss?

From the web:
    "Record was founded in 1903 in Tramelan as the Record Dreadnought S.A. In 1944, the first watches with hammer automatic movements were introduced, rotor automatics in 1952. Longines acquired Record in 1961 but the company did not survive the quartz crisis.

Banned

Isnt S.A the abbreviation for corporation is spanish? Although Tramelan IS in Switzerland. Maybe S.A> also means corp in Swiss?
    SA stands for Société Anonyme in France and the French speaking part of Switzerland. It's sort of like a public company as in it has shareholders.

Have u asked Longines representative?
    I wrote them via contact form on longines.com and they gave me exact MM/yyyy of my watch going to dealer based on serial number, as well as complete model ref.number.

is their contact on their web page?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information