Longines Pocket Watch With Issues? PIC HEAVY
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By mmarc77
  • 1 Post By Tony C.
  • 1 Post By Giotime
  • 1 Post By G550driver

Thread: Longines Pocket Watch With Issues? PIC HEAVY

Longines Pocket Watch With Issues? PIC HEAVY

I recently decided to add a few pocket watches to my collection so I found a nice Patek and this Longines is the second of my additions. It has good provenance and the seller said his grandfather purchased it in Geneva on his honeymoon. I sent an inquiry to Longines and should get verification if that is correct. It also came with the original jeweler's box, a cool little suede holder and a service receipt from 2009.

Unfortunately, the watch appears to have some issues according to my novice eye. The first is the 5 and 7 markers appear to have been reattached and are not in the correct position. The next is the hands or at least one of them, do not appear original. I am hoping when I get the info from Longines they will inform me of the type of hands that were on the watch when it was made. According to the watch repair the watch was made C. 1923 and utilizes the 18.95M, 17 jewel extra movement.

The case is in pretty good shape at 44.5mm and is 18k gold. The dial is okay but does have some patina and I think the markers are solid gold.

I am really impressed with the vintage Longines watches I have and believe they are somewhat under appreciated today. It is odd though that all the pocket watches like this one that I looked at online, the 5 and 7 on all of them appears a little sloppy and not crisply centered and actually overlaps the subdial at 6:00.

I will take this in for service next week and hope to get the watch back to it's original state assuming I discover what that is. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Name:  IMG_1607.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  109.3 KBName:  IMG_1614.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  78.2 KBName:  IMG_1613.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  100.5 KBName:  IMG_1616.JPG
Size:  100.8 KBName:  IMG_1618.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  104.0 KBName:  IMG_1619.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  112.7 KBName:  IMG_1617.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  124.7 KBName:  IMG_1604.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  120.7 KBName:  IMG_1605.JPG
Size:  110.8 KBName:  IMG_1609.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  118.1 KBName:  IMG_1608.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  107.1 KBName:  IMG_1610.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  105.3 KBName:  IMG_1611.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  96.6 KBName:  IMG_1606.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  117.1 KB
    Giotime, eri231, Charon and 1 others like this.

Re: Longines Pocket Watch With Issues? PIC HEAVY

Woooooooooooow!! That's puuuurdy! Very nice...
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Another uncommonly lovely piece Mike. Congrats on a great collectors PW.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Gio!

Can you venture an opinion to the 5 and 7 markers? The hands originality?

I'm no expert on PWs, but to my eye those two numerals are replacements. Along with other questions, I have a very hard time imagining that Longines would have allowed an overlapping of the sub-dial like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    I'm no expert on PWs, but to my eye those two numerals are replacements. Along with other questions, I have a very hard time imagining that Longines would have allowed an overlapping of the sub-dial like that.

That's what I thought also Tony however every Longines from that age with gold markers I found have some over lapping. The degree varies but Longines seems to have made them overlap to some extent. Here is one like it.

Seling A Used Vintage 18K White Gold Longines Pocket Watch Cleaned and Timed | eBay

and another:

Antique Longines Swiss Pocket Watch 18K Solid White Gold 17 Jewel Vintage OLD | eBay
    Last edited by mmarc77; February 21st, 2016 at 18:43.

@mmarc Interesting – thanks for the links. I'm still not sold on the 5 on the subject watch, but apparently Longines was sacrilegious in that small regard.
    mmarc77 likes this.

Until Longines steps up, only speculation. Style wise I would guess the hour hand is the original style. But non matching hands is possible and I think would be cool. I think the numbers are original but the 5 was reset improperly. Overlapping the subseconds does not seem necessarily wrong to me, but I wouldn't think it should cover part of a number like the 5 appears to do. Love the watch! (Even as is). But hope original. Please keep us informed. Come on Longines!
    mmarc77 likes this.

I received a reply from Longines and here it is:

Thank you for your message and the information provided. Further to your request, we are pleased to provide the information contained in Longines' handwritten registers:

The original serial number 4'116'127 identifies an open face pocket watch in 18ct gold. It is fitted with a Longines manually wound mechanical movement, caliber 18.95. It was invoiced on 31 January 1927 to the company Wirth, which was at that time our agent for Switzerland.
    Based only on the pictures provided, you will understand that we cannot certify the authenticity of the hands of your watch without having it in our hands. If you would like a firm authentication, you may send us your timepiece for examination by our watchmakers in Saint-Imier. In that case, please send it through our official distributor in your country, whose contact details can be found below :

I've just stumbled upon this thread so things may have moved on during the intervening six months but for comparison this is my Longines pocket watch which is of around about the same year (I can't say exactly because I'm currently 7,000 miles removed from my Longines documentation).

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  1.05 MB
    Last edited by G550driver; June 29th, 2016 at 15:39. Reason: Deleted unnecessary images
    bubba48 likes this.
    G550 (retd.)

Thread Information