Longines Professional c.1941?

Thread: Longines Professional c.1941?

Longines Professional c.1941?

Hi there, noob here,
    I fell in love with this watch when I first saw it and now its mine, but I wonder if anyone could help me by identifying the movement- I searched and searched but can't find anything that looks like it.
    Here's the watch:

OK, it's pretty shabby: it's missing its second hand (shaft looks broken off inside the other hands), the dial is pretty worn out- it looks like silver but the numerals are worn off almost completely and there's a nasty scratch, but the watch seems to work and keep pretty good time, and I'd like it to be my new daily wearer.

Can anyone identify this movement? It's pretty gashed up where someone's tried to remove the winding stem with a wrong sized screwdriver, which is a shame But it works.

I think the watch is a Longines Professional which appears in their catalogue in 1941, the serial number of the movement indicates 1939.

Vintage Watches - Collect...Identify...Discuss

The watch back says waterproof which I assume means resistant in reality! The watch seams to have a lead gasket. Is there anything that should be done to that lead to make sure of a good seal?

The crystal is loose- I think someone fitted the wrong size. Can I fit a standard plastic crystal or would it need to be special for a watch of this age?

I'd like to get the watch as water resistant as possible so any tips?

TIA for any info,

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Markse; March 29th, 2012 at 20:49. Reason: spelin n grama

Re: Longines Professional c.1941?

I forgot to mention that the case is 30mm dia W/O crown and the strap lugs 15mm wide if that helps with identifying the movement.
    Mark

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It looks like a derivative of the Cal. 12.68 with indirect central seconds adaptation. Here is the base calibre:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Longines 12.68Z

...and here is a more modern adaptation to central seconds:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Longines 12.68ZS

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can I suggest you send the serial number to Longines and they will tell you exactly the calibre, the day it was made, and which distributor it was sent to.

They are really fast, free and a great resource. Just contact via the Longines web site - and then there will be no guessing needed.

Thanks Hartmut- yes it does look similar to that apart from the obvious differences and the different position of the screw for the face (?) near the winding ratchet. Is there any significance to the 5adj marking on mine? And the spring clip thing that holds the jewel for the balance wheel is different.

Thanks too Trim- I had no idea I could do that but I most certainly will- what an excellent service!

Any ideas what to do with the lead seal- do I leave as is and just screw down the back hard?

Would it be straight forward for a watchmaker to fix the second hand- I think it would need a new shaft? I'm not that bothered if it's impossible as I quite like the cleanliness of not having a seconds hand.

Mark
    Last edited by Markse; March 30th, 2012 at 01:34.

Hi Markse.
    I think that your Longines is from 1939. Infact the serial number of the movement is very close to mine.

"Dear Mr. Xxxxxx,

Here is the required information concerning your old Longines watch with serial number 5’741’878

It is a watch in stainless steel
    It has been invoiced on 18th September 1939 to Messrs. Wirth, our agents in Switzerland during many years
    It has a movement caliber 10.68Z

Hope this information is convenient to you, and always at your disposal, I remain with my best regards.

Raymond Krebs
    Archives & Documentation"

Hi Bubba48- great, thanks! that looks very similar apart from the adaption to centre seconds.
    Is your case also 30mm dia? Did you fit a new crown? My crown is very polished/worn, looks like nickel and is quite difficult to wind.
    I need to fit a new crystal but am unsure whether to purchase a hi or lo dome- the one that's fitted is very loose and protrudes a lot above the case so I keep catching it on things. Do you know which yours is fitted with?
    Your watch looks almost new (apart from the period dial). Mine looks like it was made in 1939!
    Thanks again,
    Mark

Longines info service is really great- just got this answer back after requesting info this morning:

"The serial number 5’741’983 identifies a wristwatch in stainless steel.
    It is fitted with a Longines manufacture caliber 10.68Z that was first produced in 1932.
    It was invoiced to Messrs.’ Jewellers, who were for many years our agent for South Africa, on the 25.07.1940."

So it is the same, but different.
    Last edited by Markse; March 30th, 2012 at 17:46.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The 10 vs. 12 (before the .68) indicates movement size: 12 lignes (=27mm) vs. a rounded down 10.5 lignes (=23.3mm). Otherwise, they are practically the same. Thanks for the info from Longines.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information