Longines Question

Thread: Longines Question

Longines Question

Hey Cats,
    Have an opportunity to trade for a vintage Longines Admiral 5 Star, it's circa 1967 and in fine condition except the excessive wearing of the gold plate to the mesh bracelet.
    Any experience on this watch to share? Any information would be greatly appreciated as Longines has been a maker I've wanted to add to the collection.
    Thanks for the read.
    Peace,
    Preston
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

Banned

Re: Longines Question

As long as the case's plating isn't worn through anywhere you're fine. Check the corners of the lugs carefully though. The Admiral series automatics of that era had either a 50x or 34x caliber inside. Even numbers on the end of the movement number designate non-date versions, odd numbers should have a date. The 34x is the better one and is an in-house caliber. The 50x series was originally based on a Record movement (a company Longines owned since 1961) and isn't bad, just more pedestrian.

You now owe pictures if you do buy it.

Thanks for the great advice, I will follow it. I feel confident that I will get a nice watch as he has already provided me a beautiful Girard Perregaux tank and Seiko Lassale and I'm pleased with both, however he's mentioned getting the GP back a couple times now and he mentioned it again when he showed me this watch which makes me wonder...does he have traders/sellers remorse and he's baiting me with this Longines or am I getting the better end of the deal??
    Peace,
    Preston

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    As long as the case's plating isn't worn through anywhere you're fine. Check the corners of the lugs carefully though. The Admiral series automatics of that era had either a 50x or 34x caliber inside. Even numbers on the end of the movement number designate non-date versions, odd numbers should have a date. The 34x is the better one and is an in-house caliber. The 50x series was originally based on a Record movement (a company Longines owned since 1961) and isn't bad, just more pedestrian.

You now owe pictures if you do buy it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    however he's mentioned getting the GP back a couple times now and he mentioned it again when he showed me this watch which makes me wonder...does he have traders/sellers remorse and he's baiting me with this Longines or am I getting the better end of the deal??
    He might have remorse, but back then Longines was a better made and better regarded watch than GP. That's not only my opinion, but also my watchmaker's and apparently some other industry people too as you can see from this page out of the predecessor to Consumer Reports in November of 1949:

Interesting.

Thanks ulackfocus

The complete article is available here:

http://www.bortolot.com/watches/Page_1.html

its already referenced in 'links and articles'.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Very interesting, thanks!
    Peace,
    Preston

Thread Information