Longines Ultra Chron - dial question

Thread: Longines Ultra Chron - dial question

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Longines Ultra Chron - dial question

Is the dial in this auction original finish, or a redial (refinished). The A and C of AutomatiC look wrong to me...

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Original-Vintage-...15780366QQcmdZ

Thanks!
    Cataratas do Iguaçu, Brazil => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KyiwSscdo

Re: Longines Ultra Chron - dial question

Well, ulackfocus is our resident Longines expert. He will have a more informed opinion but this looks original to me.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

It looks authentic to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks original to me.

Banned

Thumb's up here also. That font on "automatic" is a later variation. When it was written in cursive it was a capital A and the C dipped below the rest of the letters. The indices are also correct for that type of minute/second track. Straight stick hands with a sliver of lume or color usually accompanied that style dial. Here's the style font you're thinking of:

You could also have hands slightly fatter hands similar to this during that period:

(pic by JimH)

Sometimes these hands had different colors to match the dial. The dial in that eBay listing may be for a two tone gold & ss case like the one immediately above.
    Last edited by ulackfocus; April 19th, 2010 at 06:05. Reason: add photos

Exclamation Re: Longines Ultra Chron - dial question

Thanks for your help everyone! Now you have me really confused... I wanted an Ultra-Chron ever since Ray916MN suggested to somebody on the Affordables forum to get a Hi Beat movement. I've been scanning eBay for many months, and now finally I bought two instead of one. One of the watches has an unknown movement which I hope will turn out to be a 431 as it has a central seconds hand and a date (or it might be a 6651). The other has a 6651, but is in unbelievably good condition.

After I bought them I started searching the forum trying to find a way to open the front loader cases to see the movements, and I came across a tread about redials and how you can often spot them because of the font... So I compared auction photos of the two I bought and the fonts were different. Now I think they might both be original if Longines changed the font... I'll post proper photos of both my purchases as soon as I receive them (which might be anytime because of the eruptions...)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo View Post
    Thanks for your help everyone! Now you have me really confused... I wanted an Ultra-Chron ever since Ray916MN suggested to somebody on the Affordables forum to get a Hi Beat movement. I've been scanning eBay for many months, and now finally I bought two instead of one. One of the watches has an unknown movement which I hope will turn out to be a 431 as it has a central seconds hand and a date (or it might be a 6651). The other has a 6651, but is in unbelievably good condition.

After I bought them I started searching the forum trying to find a way to open the front loader cases to see the movements, and I came across a tread about redials and how you can often spot them because of the font... So I compared auction photos of the two I bought and the fonts were different. Now I think they might both be original if Longines changed the font... I'll post proper photos of both my purchases as soon as I receive them (which might be anytime because of the eruptions...)
    Yeah, Ray's an enabler - but most of us are. Whether it's a 36K bph 430 series or a 28.8K bph 66xx depends on when it was made. Read a little basic info HERE. I'll be looking for your photos.

Hi Niccolo,

looks authentic: here the same in another color:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...sau&1105545629

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Confused Re: Longines Ultra Chron - dial question

Update: I got the first watch, the one with the 6651 movement. I'll post pictures tomorrow evening.

The watch was running when I received it, but the date and time were wrong, so I tried to change them. First I tried to turn the crown anti-clockwise in the 'IN' position and nothing happened. Then I turned it clockwise and I felt resistance, but nothing happened. I tried pulling the crown out, and there is only one position (NOT one position for date, and another for time like my other modern watches). I turned the crown anti-clockwise, and the minutes hand moves forward. Clockwise moves the minutes hand backwards, but doesn't change date. So I kept turning clockwise, and the date changes instantly at a few minutes to midnight. So is there no quicker way to change date? After changing a few days I tried turning the minutes hand 30 min backwards, but after that the movement stopped working. Did I break it?

Are the things I described above the behaviour of a 6651 movement? There doesn't seem to be a manual wind, and I read when the 6651's crown is out the seconds hand should stop running in the 12:00 position, a unique hack. But this watch didn't have that either...

So is the movement a 6651, and did I break it by turning the minutes hand backwards?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Niccolo; April 27th, 2010 at 22:09.

Picture Re: Longines Ultra Chron - dial question

Pictures of the Longines Ultra-Chron mentioned in the post above. Hope somebody can help me with my questions... Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information