Longines Ultra-Chron ref. 8301
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gatorcpa

Thread: Longines Ultra-Chron ref. 8301

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    39

    Longines Ultra-Chron ref. 8301

    Hi,
    yestarday i bought this Longines Ultra-Chron ref. 8301 cal.431 (36000a/h) about 1967.

    I have some doubts about the case.... Is it all original for you?

    Thanks, best regards












  2. #2
    Member gatorcpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,963

    Re: Longines Ultra-Chron ref. 8301

    I'm 99.9% sure that it is all OK. My only question would be about the movement. I found your auction in my Google search, I think you did quite well.

    Compare with this example of the same reference:

    Maximaze

    Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

  3. #3
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,160

    Re: Longines Ultra-Chron ref. 8301

    Ultra Chrons came in a variety of cases. This one arouses no red flags for me...

    These are great watches!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wegberg, Germany
    Posts
    3,757

    Re: Longines Ultra-Chron ref. 8301

    Hi there,

    a dial with golden applications in a steel case, and a mint dial in combination with a corroded back are of course not impossible, but already one of both would make me nervous.

    Regards, Rolkand Ranfft

  6. #5
    Member gatorcpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,963

    Re: Longines Ultra-Chron ref. 8301

    Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

    a dial with golden applications in a steel case, and a mint dial in combination with a corroded back are of course not impossible, but already one of both would make me nervous.

    Regards, Rolkand Ranfft
    The back is not corroded. What you are seeing is either wrist sweat or fingerprints on the back. Here is a pic from the eBay listing:



    I had the same concerns about the gold in a steel case, but Longines did this on occasion. At worst, it is a service dial and hands.
    gatorcpa
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    39

    Re: Longines Ultra-Chron ref. 8301

    Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    The back is not corroded. What you are seeing is either wrist sweat or fingerprints on the back. Here is a pic from the eBay listing:



    I had the same concerns about the gold in a steel case, but Longines did this on occasion. At worst, it is a service dial and hands.
    gatorcpa
    so do you think that the watch is ok?

    For me golden applications in a steel case is not impossible!! There are a lot of example
    on the web....

  8. #7
    Member Formula1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    992

    Re: Longines Ultra-Chron ref. 8301

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Ultra Chrons came in a variety of cases. This one arouses no red flags for me...

    These are great watches!
    I totally agree! This one sort of takes me back to when I worked in watch repair.....beautiful watch, and a combo that I have seen more than once while performing service.

    Congrats!
    Omar Montaño


    "The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish" - Jacques-Yves Cousteau

  9. #8
    Member gatorcpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,963

    Re: Longines Ultra-Chron ref. 8301

    Quote Originally Posted by nicoidrasus View Post
    so do you think that the watch is ok?
    Yes, I do.
    gatorcpa

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •