Longines Watch Idenitification

Thread: Longines Watch Idenitification

Longines Watch Idenitification

Hello all

I recently came across this watch and I know very little about vintage watches. I used the Vintage Watches - Collect...Identify...Discuss to try and identify this watch but I had no luck. If you look at the picture of the face it has that number on the bottom of it and I entered that in to the site as the serial number and it said the watch was made in 1907 (approximately). I was just looking to either get confirmation of this or any other legitimate information on the watch. I've posted a picture of the face and the inner workings.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Longines Watch Idenitification

That is an interesting Longines with this U.S patent, I've no idea what the patent applies to
    but they can be looked up.
    Definately not from 1907, more like WW2.

Great looking watch and a very good movement too.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

It's a Longines in a Forties Croton case - with a rather rough and ready spacer to make it fit. The serial on the movement if I can read it right would indicate 1941, so watch and case are contemporary but not original.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting, thanks for the replies. Looking up the patent number says it was a patent for Method of And Apparatus For Navigators' Timekeeping that was filed in 1929 and issued in 1935 to Weems. Pretty neat stuff I think.

WWII sounds more reasonable. I had very serious doubts about 1907.

The watch is not what it says it is unfortunately.

Here is an original Longines Weems from the WWII era:

The only part of your watch made by Longines was the movement. The dial is a deception and as already established, the case is made by Croton.

Sorry for the bad news,
    gatorcpa

As Gtorcpa says
    This is 'the' famous 'WEEMS' patent by Longines.
    The case is completely wrong
    May be worth searching for an original case as WEEMS watches sell at high premium

Pity, some one destroyed it

Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Well, that is a little disappointing. I mean I guess if the movement is a Longines it isn't a complete loss.

When you say search for an original case, where would I go about doing that? I'm beyond new to the world of vintage watches.

Quote Originally Posted by zburns12 View Post
    Well, that is a little disappointing. I mean I guess if the movement is a Longines it isn't a complete loss.

When you say search for an original case, where would I go about doing that? I'm beyond new to the world of vintage watches.
    I think you should just put it down to a bad buy.
    If recent you could try returning it to seller.
    Try checking in prior to buying, then we can help
    Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I think somebody even faked the dial. The pat. # seems correct (compared to gators pic) and so do some of the fonts-like the numeral '4'. But then the Longines has a closed '6' and where did the "weems' go? To bad, really. And I wouldnt feel too bad if I were the buyer. This is EXACTLY the kind of 'exciting' vintage watch that can trip up a novice collector. Im sure it didn't cost all that much-hopefully. I am not certain it would be worth searching for a 'weems' case unless you can establish the dial as truly authentic. good luck
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Thread Information