Looking to buy my first vintage watch- found a Breitling Geneve need advice
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Eeeb
  • 1 Post By Habitant

Thread: Looking to buy my first vintage watch- found a Breitling Geneve need advice

Question Looking to buy my first vintage watch- found a Breitling Geneve need advice

Can someone more knowledgable than myself please have a look at the below listings and see if it's worth the price?

Excellent Vintage Breitling Geneve "Original Dial" from 1955´ | eBay

Another option that I've been looking at:

Amazing Condition Longines "Mint Soleil Dial" from 1966' | eBay

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Re: Looking to buy my first vintage watch- found a Breitling Geneve need advice

Hi,

"worth the price" is very different from person to person.
    For example for me they are boringly clean and overpolished
    Chaos is my focus

I didn't mean that in a general sense.... Let me rephrase. If one was in the market for this specific model would this be a fair price to pay for it's condition?
    Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    Hi,

"worth the price" is very different from person to person.
    For example for me they are boringly clean and overpolished

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Monitor eBay completed listings for the answer to that... the market knows!
    bobbee likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

excellent-ly marketed.
    amazing-ly overpriced.
    In both cases.

In general, I myself am always suspicious of watches on offer from South America. I have no bone to pick with South America or its people, none at all; however, the sad truth is that many of the offerings from that region are suspicious in some way.

First of all, I believe both examples are priced at the higher end of the market. They've been highly polished, which is appealing to a first-time buyer, but less so to a collector and you're on a forum full of collectors, so you ought to expect them to be grumpy about the shiny cases. Why does it matter? I can't speak for all here, but on observation of stated opinions, I'm guessing that it's because it's unnatural looking; a 50 year old vintage watch would show some evidence of use. That both these are polished to the same high degree points to deliberate action, rather than fortuitous 'unworn' condition.

The Breitling dial looks original; the marks on it indicate some age. Most collectors could live with that.

The Longines dial looks too clean and fresh. The wording of the ad says 'original', but take care: it could mean in the original style (it wouldn't be the first time I've seen that spin on things). Sorry to be suspicious, but once again, South America is one of the hot spots for dial refinishing and so I must assume that this is a refinished dial. It's very, very clean and perfect for a dial that been around 48 years, isn't it? Heat, humidity, love, marriage, divorce. For most collectors a dial refinish reduces the collectibility and value of the item; it's up to you to make your choice on this issue. But once again, you're asking a group of enthusiasts and they would, for the most part, devalue a refinished dial.

Tough call. I think both are very much at the upper end. They are packaged and priced to a particular market. Most here are looking for watch 'finds' or 'fixer uppers,' and hardly likely to approve something found and fixed up.

For your first vintage, I'd personally be careful around eBay. There's a lot there, to be sure, but a lot of risk, too. Caveat Emptor–send us your findings and we'll try and help you stay safe.
    Last edited by Habitant; August 14th, 2014 at 15:26.
    bobbee likes this.

Shiny case is not a problem. The problem is that it lost its shape, looks like mishelin dude :D

Chaos is my focus

True dat, another good point.

Thread Information