Looking for a date
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By laikrodukas
  • 1 Post By jkraus2427
  • 1 Post By Dan S

Thread: Looking for a date

Looking for a date

...an estimated date for my new purchase, not a match.com thing.

I bought this a few days ago on eBay because I think it's striking. It turns out to be seem smaller than the description made me think -- it may be about the 34 mm I was quoted, but the concentric circles make it look narrower. Otherwise, I love it. It's hand-winding and it's keeping good enough time that I can't measure its +/- seconds for the day.

From the design, I'm guessing it's either a few years before or a few years after WWII. I'm not comfortable opening it up to look at the mechanism, but -- for now at least -- I'm more interested in a ballpark estimate than an exact one. I won't have many opportunities to wear it, but some upcoming ones will have a 1930s theme, and I'd like to be able to tell a story if I go with it.

Thanks for whatever anyone can suggest:

Name:  Paul Bregette 1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  479.0 KBName:  Paul Bregette 2.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  271.2 KBName:  Paul Bregette 3.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  229.5 KB

Re: Looking for a date

It is difficult to estimate when the watch was made looking only at a dial that was likely repainted at a later time, since we really can't be certain that the dial originally had the same design. Seeing the movement might help. However, assuming that the movement is actually Incabloc protected, it is most likely not from the 1930s.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks, Dan. I appreciate the thoughts. I hadn't thought to look up the Incabloc connection, so that helps. From the little I've since read, you seem right that this probably isn't 1930s. I'll take this in to my local watch guy to get it cleaned, and I'll try to get a picture of the movement then.

Is it that common to repaint a dial entirely? I've heard of touching up, but do a lot of people go for what amounts a new design?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It looks like an old redial to me also. I have a Paul Breguette also that has the same style case. With the movement ID, I figured mine to be about 1955. You can compare, and it has a nice AS 361N movement.

Name:  Close up.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  291.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_2878.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  1.81 MB
    Name:  IMG_2884.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  1.42 MB
    Name:  IMG_2882.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  1.55 MB
    Attachment 14189457
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Quote Originally Posted by jkraus2427 View Post
    Thanks, Dan. I appreciate the thoughts. I hadn't thought to look up the Incabloc connection, so that helps. From the little I've since read, you seem right that this probably isn't 1930s. I'll take this in to my local watch guy to get it cleaned, and I'll try to get a picture of the movement then.

Is it that common to repaint a dial entirely? I've heard of touching up, but do a lot of people go for what amounts a new design?
    Yes it is common to do repaints. Most collectors usually avoid them
    jkraus2427 likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Thanks, Bobby. That's a beautiful watch.

I dropped mine off with my local repair guy, and he estimates it as a mid-1940s model. I'd assumed it was too 'bright and happy' to have been made during the war, but he suggested it was likely inspired by military style. In any case, he opened it up for me, and I took a photo of the movement. (I didn't think to get a shot of the inside of the back cover, though.)

I still don't have an exact year for this, but what I do have is very helpful for what I'm after. In fact, the mid-1940s date is just about perfect.

Name:  Paul Breguette movement.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  345.5 KB
    bsshog40 likes this.

A Schild AS 1187, or similar. The exact caliber number is probably stamped under the balance. Common mid-century movements, and I'm not sure you will be able to narrow things down any better than "1940s or 1950s".
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 1187
    jkraus2427 likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

With Incabloc, it is possibly 1940s but unlikely to be so. 1950s is more like it. I also doubt that that movement was available for most of the 1940s.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information