Looking at getting into a vintage benrus
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Maddan

Thread: Looking at getting into a vintage benrus

Looking at getting into a vintage benrus

I have been having the itch to pick up a Vietnam era Benrus. My question is how is parts availability for the movement. The watch uses a Benrus Calibre DR 2F2 which is based off the eta 2370. Are parts still fairly accessible or is it one of those things where you want to find one that’s been babied. The one I’m lookin at is pretty scrapped up and scuffed, which is what I’m looking for. They say it’s in good running order but has never been serviced. Any advice on these.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Looking at getting into a vintage benrus

Would you buy a battered old car with 200k on the clock that had never been serviced or had the oil changed? If you did would you expect to need to replace parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Would you buy a battered old car with 200k on the clock that had never been serviced or had the oil changed? If you did would you expect to need to replace parts?
    As someone who is a mechanic by trade the answer to your question is yes I would buy that car and I have done it before. The question wasn’t will it NEED new parts, it was how easily are new parts sourced? To use your car metaphor as an example, I have 2 firebirds one is a 69 the other is a 90. The every part for the 69 ( other than the ashtray for some reason ) is avalible through aftermarket reproduction. All I have to do for that is type in the part on google or one of the many parts catalogs and cough up the cash, wait three days and it will be at my door. The 90 on the other hand is a combination of its too old for the dealer to have new parts for it but too new for the aftermarket to have a good support for reproduction parts. If that one needs parts it’s usualy runs to the junk yard, Craig’s list , Facebook market place or the dealer and hope that you can fine either a NOS part that has been sitting on the shelf for 20 years or a use part in a donor car that is in good shape some one is willing to part with. So yes I’m aware that new parts will be needed I’m curious as to availability. Is this watch a 69 bird or a 90?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Alwayslate707...Hello!

I suggest that the question of parts availability on a watch like this should be one of secondary consequence to that of condition: in other words, don't focus too much upon whether parts may be available; concern yourself, rather, with how it looks and functions. If it's all there are appears corrosion and damage-free, that may well be the best that you can realistically hope for.

In many cases--probably, about all--mainsprings are available for older watches, even if the 'exact' size may be difficult to source.

I have owned and worked on quite a few watches like this Benrus, and I've never really focussed upon parts availability...I'm far more concerned with condition, condition, and--yes!--Condition.

Michael.
    Dan S likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Maddan View Post
    Alwayslate707...Hello!

I suggest that the question of parts availability on a watch like this should be one of secondary consequence to that of condition: in other words, don't focus too much upon whether parts may be available; concern yourself, rather, with how it looks and functions. If it's all there are appears corrosion and damage-free, that may well be the best that you can realistically hope for.

In many cases--probably, about all--mainsprings are available for older watches, even if the 'exact' size may be difficult to source.

I have owned and worked on quite a few watches like this Benrus, and I've never really focussed upon parts availability...I'm far more concerned with condition, condition, and--yes!--Condition.

Michael.
    Hello Michael , thank you for your reply. The condition looks fair. No apparent moisture damage just kinda scratched up like it spent its life running through a jungle. Which it probably did. I am looking for one that is in that fair condition the story’s a watch like that could tell if it could talk type of thing. I just worry that if it needs service parts will not be available and i will be stuck buying donor watches, not something I want to do.

Good watch choice: I feel drawn to these too, both by the history and the neat functionality
    Personally I’m going to go down the re-issue route, there are many homages, and I want to wear it for work (lume would be handy, etc)

Is it worth looking into how many other Benruses used the movement, and buying a parts watch from its less glamorous, cheaper colleagues?
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

How easily are parts sourced? More easily than some and less easily than others. How to answer such a vague question?

If you are going to get into vintage watches, you need to get accustomed to taking some chances and build the cost of service, parts and potentially parts watches into your purchase. Obviously, any parts needed will only be available on the secondary market, from used parts suppliers, eBay, etc. But they are often available. Watchmakers who specialize in certain types of vintage watches often have a stock of parts and old movements. Parts movements can also be purchased as needed, as you mentioned. That's just the way it goes, and it should be considered part of the cost of the hobby, and you need to find a good watchmaker. If you really want one of these particular watches, you're not going to be happy with a different reference, so find a good one and take your chances.
    Last edited by Dan S; 1 Week Ago at 17:20.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thread Information