Looking for a gold mech uner $150

Thread: Looking for a gold mech uner $150

Looking for a gold mech uner $150

Preferably round dial preferably auto, skeletons are okay too. Leather band is a plus and defiantely a light colored dial. I've been trying to look on ebay at Hamiltons Bulovas Accutrons etc. But, I have no idea what's a good deal and what's not. What's a good watch and what I should stay away from.

Re: Looking for a gold mech uner $150

Solid gold will be hard to find for that price, but gold-plated or gold-filled should be easy to find (in the bay).

Just to give you some brands with good quality movements in that price range (or below):
    Look for Certina, Roamer, Gruen, Tissot, ...
    Probably a little bit above your limit, depending on the condition:
    Longines, Eterna, Omega,..

As I said, if it doesn't has to be solid gold, you'll have very good chances, as the gold-filled/plated versions are less wanted than their ss counter parts.

If you don't want to search in the bay, you might try bidfun:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun....&ranfft&a&usau
    I already bought a couple of times from Ranfft and was always satisfied.

Cheers,

Axel

Re: Looking for a gold mech uner $150

Quote Originally Posted by jml90 View Post
    Preferably round dial preferably auto, skeletons are okay too. Leather band is a plus and defiantely a light colored dial. I've been trying to look on ebay at Hamiltons Bulovas Accutrons etc. But, I have no idea what's a good deal and what's not. What's a good watch and what I should stay away from.
    It'll be hard to get something nice for that amount of money in vintage at least. Remember after you buy you'll need to make sure the watch is properly serviced and that'll add another $100 or so to the price. Certainly I agree with Axel that solid gold is out. Scrap value for solid gold watches is higher than $150.
    Accutrons are not really mechanical in the purist's sense as they don't wind up but are electrically powered.
    Automatic Hamiltons are Swiss made by and large. Well made but not true American watches if that's important to you.
    If your top end is $150 you might be able to get a nice wind-up from the late 1940s / early 1950s in Bulova, Benrus, Elgin or JohnF's favorite - Gruen.
    Just for interest here is a 1949 Bulova I got for $50 on eBay and then spent another $75 or so getting cleaned and running right.
    My advice would be to look at Bulova if you're in the US - well made, easy to fix, lots of parts still available. Roamer or Tissot are good choices in Swiss watches, as is Certina.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Ray MacDonald; December 30th, 2006 at 16:22.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information