Looking for help with my old watch- IKO remontoir ancre, 15 rubiis, levees visibles

Thread: Looking for help with my old watch- IKO remontoir ancre, 15 rubiis, levees visibles

Looking for help with my old watch- IKO remontoir ancre, 15 rubiis, levees visibles

Hi,

This is my first post here.

I am looking for appraisal or guidence of year when this watch was produced and some clues of rarity and style.

I just can not find any relevant information on net regarding IKO watch. Is this even real watch or just a bad replica?

I guess that watch is made of base metal since there is no sign of silver or gold stamps along the number on middle layer?---

I have inherited 2 watches and would really like to know more about this one .

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

AzureName:  IMG_1174.jpg
Views: 2976
Size:  581.3 KBName:  IMG_1.jpg
Views: 3536
Size:  919.1 KBName:  IMG_1161.jpg
Views: 3233
Size:  751.3 KBName:  IMG_1167.jpg
Views: 2993
Size:  507.9 KBName:  IMG_1168.jpg
Views: 2976
Size:  526.0 KBName:  IMG_1172.jpg
Views: 3381
Size:  537.6 KBName:  IMG_1177.jpg
Views: 3955
Size:  861.0 KBName:  IMG_1176.jpg
Views: 2675
Size:  790.0 KB
    Last edited by Azure910; June 9th, 2012 at 12:36.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Looking for help with my old watch- IKO remontoir ancre, 15 rubiis, levees visibles

Welcome to the forum. The dial is typically twenties and if you go here:

Mikrolisk - was Feines für die Tasche... - Das Informationsportal rund um die Taschenuhr!

...you find that IKO was registered by Georges-Edouard Maire in 1929 so the watch can't be older than that. The train is probably supposed to make the watch look railroad grade but, although it is a good watch, it certainly isn't up to that standard. It is a typical Swiss lever ("Ancre") movement with 15 ruby jewels ("15 rubis") to minimise friction. 17 is the maximum for that sort of movement which would be achieved by adding two to the centre wheel.

Hartmut Richter

Re: Looking for help with my old watch- IKO remontoir ancre, 15 rubiis, levees visibles

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to the forum. The dial is typically twenties and if you go here:

Mikrolisk - was Feines für die Tasche... - Das Informationsportal rund um die Taschenuhr!

...you find that IKO was registered by Georges-Edouard Maire in 1929 so the watch can't be older than that. The train is probably supposed to make the watch look railroad grade but, although it is a good watch, it certainly isn't up to that standard. It is a typical Swiss lever ("Ancre") movement with 15 ruby jewels ("15 rubis") to minimise friction. 17 is the maximum for that sort of movement which would be achieved by adding two to the centre wheel.

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks a lot Hartmut for showing me this link. I would never find true identity of the watch without you.
    After I took better look of the link I found this:
    Word trade mark Image trade mark Manufacturer Location and details
    Iko Georges-Ed. Maire La Chaux-de-Fonds, Schweiz; registriert am 14.8.1929
    IKO Iko Montres / Schlatter & Seewer / Jürg-Emile Schlatter La Chaux-de-Fonds, Schweiz
    So does that mean that if on watch writes Iko then it would be from 1929 onwards? On my watch the name is written with big caps IKO and under that name in list above there is no precise year of when it was begining of the manufacture. Could it be then that it was older then 1929 if that is correct?

The case of this watch is probably metal then since there is no silver or gold stamps in middle layer i presume?

I was curious about your note regarding railroad quality. Do you have any link where I can read more about this...

Thanks a lot again on quick help on this watch.

Regards,

Azure

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The way I read the link, Iko was the company and the brand was IKO (i.e. that's the way it was written on the dial). I doubt that they were two separate companies around the same time with the same name in La Chaux de Fonds.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information