Looking for help with this New Era pocketwatch

Thread: Looking for help with this New Era pocketwatch

Looking for help with this New Era pocketwatch

Pics:
    back front

When my grandpa died in 96, this was in a shoebox in his den. My dad believes that it belonged to my grandpas brother, who was not a bright guy, but was strong as an ox. He lived in a small mining town in SE Kansas. He wasn't a wealthy man, and my dad didn't really have much in the way of fond memories of the guy, but not that he was a butt, just that he was the kind of guy who worked all day, came home, at dinner, went to bed and went back to work the next day and he needed to know what time it was. I don't expect the watch is worth much more than the story.

Anyway, my dad wasn't interested in the watch, so I have held on to it for over a decade now. It's only been in the last couple years that I was even able to get the back open. And only a few weeks ago did I finally get agressive enough with it to open the front and finally be able to remove and inspect the movement.

By now, you've probably also figured out that I don't know really know how to work on watches, but I've torn this one down now and put it back together. The regulator spring is totally missing.

Anytime I search the web for New Era pocket watch, I end up with all sorts of things about the Philadelphia watch company. Inside the case, it does have a stamp (although different from what I see online) that states it is from the Philadelphia Watch Case Co, but the movement and face are both clearly marked as New Era.

Any help finding any more useful information, and specifically, if it's possible for me to find another regulator spring to replace the missing one, I'd sure be interested.

Thanks
    MitchelWB

Re: Looking for help with this New Era pocketwatch

Your watch was made by New York Standard Watch Co which was in business from 1885 to 1929. New Era was an affordable 7 jewel model.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

that sounds about like it. Any idea where I can find a spring to repair it?

I'm not concerned about the watch not being worth much. I just want to play with it and see if I can get it to work again.
    MitchelWB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have one of these as well, but I haven't been able to find any info on it. I would love to get it running and build a custom wristwatch case for it. Something is appealing to me about wearing a watch from the turn of the century as a wristwatch...and it would still be large enough to be in style.

ZW,

A bit of advice, but people around here generally discourage folks from turning pocket watches into wristwatches. That's not what they were designed for, and they don't have the necessary shock-protection to stop them breaking if they're thrown around.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I would certainly never "throw it around," I just think there would be something special about wearing my great grandfathers only reference to time in a modern way. This would in no way be an every day watch.....

I saw an 1920'S IWC about a year ago that had been converted in this way and it was one of the most beuatiful dress watches I have ever seen.

Here are some photos of mine, a little different and I included my grandpas favorite antique flipping coin.....Anyone have any more info on these?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by zw1009; May 19th, 2010 at 03:36.

Thread Information