looking for INFO on a old watch

Thread: looking for INFO on a old watch

looking for INFO on a old watch

My names Mark. Im trying to find info on a old pocket watch my grandfather delt off a german in ww2, and if i can get parts to fix it, its a key wind Cylindree or cylindry HUIT RUBIE in frankiln TYPE cursive with a german dual finish shield case, from what i looked up, It wind's up with the stock key and the time sets from the back. The time set shaft is broke WHERE THE KEY set is, The watch will not run, Its a small ladies type pocket watch with a FLAT SPOT in the middle of the glass face, THE CASE is marked JC over a 1 # 3XXX the CASE # matches the watch numbers, any info like THE date how good it is, AND if its worth fixing OR CAN BE FIXED will help and could i find a main shaft for this old watch, MY LATE GRANDFATHER had it at a old guy that fixed watches in the 1980's guy said he could not get parts back then. BUT there was no internet then,it would amaze my father if i got this old watch working THANKS

Re: looking for INFO on a old watch

Pictures, Mark! The key to Your questions are good pictures of the watch and the movement.
    The only question I can answer: No, from a financial point of view it will not be worth investing into this watch, at least this is very unlikely. This is all about the sentimental value. Honestly, I would only have it cleaned up to make it nice from the outside.

OK HERE ARE SOME IMAGES , MY CAM is not THE BEST, i would LIKE TO find out the year it was made other info on it . where its from and if i could find the parts to fix it , thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I must say that the watch is a relatively standard sort of watch in its day and age. There are still rather a lot of them about, some in better shape than yours (although a lot in worse) so that supply exceeds demand. As such, it is definitely not worth getting fixed from a purely monetary point of view. However, as a family heirloom, you might consider it. If it is small, too small for a man to realistically wear (what size is it actually?!), it would probably only ever sit in a drawer. The choice is yours.

The watch is Swiss and dates from ca. 1870 to 1890 with some leeway either side. Movements of this sort were made from well before then but the exact bridge layout differed. They were made until just into the 20th century but most watches of that later time were crown wound rather than key wound. An exact identification of the case hallmarks (which is probably silver, by the way) will help date it more accurately. It has a cylindre escapement ("Cylindre") and eight rubies to hold the gearwheels or balance ("huit rubie") and minimise friction to make the watch more accurate and durable. The cheapest cylindre escapement watches had only four rubies and the maximum was 10 so yours is doing all right. The cylindre escapement is inferior to the Swiss lever escapement which is the standard escapement today but it is better than the cheap pin pallet "Roskopf" style escapement.

Good luck in your quest to repair it should you decide to go down that road.

Hartmut Richter