Looking for a little help on an antique pocket watch...

Thread: Looking for a little help on an antique pocket watch...

Looking for a little help on an antique pocket watch...

Hello everyone!
    First of all I just want to say that watches are not my forte' but I love the look of the older ones so I find myself collecting certain pieces that I find interesting.

This little beauty came from a flea market a few weeks ago in the condition shown and Im just curious to know its origins. I'm wondering if its worth finding a way to fix it up or if I should just leave it as is and enjoy it for the interesting piece of art it is.

In the movement it says "Tacy Watch Co ADMIRAL" and "17 Jewels" "4 Adjustments" and "Swiss"
    I come from a very different hobby so all of this jargon is like a foreign language to me. I've tried to run searches on here and through google but nothing really comes up that matches what this one could be.

So my over all question is... What exactly do I have?

Re: Looking for a little help on an antique pocket watch...

Hi!

While you wait for the experts opinions, let me tell you that Tacy Watch Co, is the short name for the merged companies in 1891: Tavannes Watch Co. and Cyma.

Here's a link from a WUS thread discussing a watch from the same maker as yours. They talk about the origins of the company, and the period where it could be from:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/adm...or-513206.html

Also, there are some watches with movement marked "Tacy Watch Co. Admiral", on the 'bay, so you can see approximate prices on fully working pieces.

Finally, a 17 jewels watch is an indicator of a high end model.

Saludos!

Thank you so much for the information, Classic1968! Any kind of information is better than having nothing to go off of. I'll be taking a look at that thread now ^^

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It doesn't look to be in bad shape; the only obvious things it's missing are the ratchet gear and the click spring. If the balance is good, you have an easily restored piece.

Unfortunately, even an easily restored piece is probably going to cost you more then its liable to be resold for (at least presently) unless you know someone who can do the work for cheap.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for the input, AbslomRob. I'm not really sure I know anyone in the watch fixing or making industry that I can turn to for any kind of repairs. I'm ok throwing some money into it even if its more than it will resell for. Because I really do like it and would like to start up a collection of sorts. I'm just curious to know exactly what I have.
    I guess I'll start to research and see if anyone in my area has any information.

Hello Alice,

I am Shangas. I'm the guy who created that thread which you were having a peek at. Here's the same watch, fresh back from the watchmaker last month:

It's a 1920s men's dress-watch. It's paired there with my Edwardian-era 9kt gold cufflinks.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Hey there, Shangas!
    WOW! Is that ever stunning!!!
    Out of curiosity was it a hard/costly restoration? Obviously, mine is a little worse for the wear and will probably require much more then just a few pieces here and there to be whole again. I was planning to take it to my local jeweler and watch maker to see what they could do for me later in the week. Seeing yours that way definitely adds inspiration to me wanting to restore it. Even if it does cost a pretty penny or two to make it shine again.

Hi Alice, your watch will need significant restoration. You'll need to find a real, master watchmaker to do that. Someone with lots of experience, and even more spare parts. It will not be cheap.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information