Looking for my first pocket watch, opinions requested!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eeeb

Thread: Looking for my first pocket watch, opinions requested!

Banned

Looking for my first pocket watch, opinions requested!

Ive never owned a pocket watch, but I'd like to get one and try it out. Something very nostalgic about a pocket watch that I'm attracted to.

Looking for something that is mechanical, clean dial and preferably has day/date. Silver case would be nice, as well as $200 and under for this one.

Also, would like it to be new, not vintage.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Sent while doing a burnout.
    Last edited by ViperGuy; June 14th, 2013 at 05:44.

Re: Looking for my first pocket watch, opinions requested!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGuy View Post
    Ive never owned a pocket watch, but I'd like to get one and try it out. Something very nostalgic about a pocket watch that I'm attracted to.

Looking for something that is mechanical, clean dial and preferably has day/date. Silver case would be nice, as well as $200 and under for this one.

Also, would like it to be new, not vintage.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

New... ooohhh... well, OK. At that price for new you are stuck with pocket watches made in China... just like that price for wrist watches. Most will be quartz. I confess I don't know much about that end of the market.

Now, if I were to relax that constraint, I'd get a low jeweled count American like Waltham or Elgin and get it serviced so it keeps running. You can do that for $200.

Darn few pocket watches have day/date. Some of the Chinese might...

Sent while watching the Tonight Show.
    Last edited by Eeeb; June 14th, 2013 at 06:20.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    New... ooohhh... well, OK. At that price for new you are stuck with pocket watches made in China... just like that price for wrist watches. Most will be quartz. I confess I don't know much about that end of the market.

Now, if I were to relax that constraint, I'd get a low jeweled count American like Waltham or Elgin and get it serviced so it keeps running. You can do that for $200.

Darn few pocket watches have day/date. Some of the Chinese might...

Sent while watching the Tonight Show.

I don't know much about pocket watches, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance. I didn't realize that most of them don't have a day/date. That's perfectly OK.

OK, let's say new, between $200 and $500. What are my options then? I'm perfectly OK with a Chinese PW, as I have tons of Chinese watches already that work amazingly well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One of this site's sponsors is Long Island Watch. They carry Chinese movement pocket watches within your budget.

I don't know much about pocket watches, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance. I didn't realize that most of them don't have a day/date. That's perfectly OK.

OK, let's say new, between $200 and $500. What are my options then? I'm perfectly OK with a Chinese PW, as I have tons of Chinese watches already that work amazingly well.

I got NO idea what a "burnout" is - but I hope you survived
    For $200 you can get easily an OK but common American rold gold pocket watch from Elgin/Waltham
    For $500 you will get a very nice piece, with a good choice of size and styles.
    I have personally sold 3or 4 nice pcs for around $150 to $200

Do an advanced search on ebay
    Click also completed listings (so you get an idea what prices are about)
    ALSO
    Change to WW.
    Search
    You will find a lot of very nice pocket watches.

Feel free to ask advice here.
    any issue PM me and I can help

Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Banned

Thanks guys/gals. I'll start with these suggestions and see what I can come up with.

Thanks guys/gals. I'll start with these suggestions and see what I can come up with.

I assume a burn out is associated with rapid acceleration of an automobile from a standing start... much noise and smoke from the tires. I used to have a GTO convertible that did them so well when I did them in front of my parents house it embarrassed my mother ... the entire neighborhood would look out LOL
    ViperGuy likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I agree with others that a vintage American pocket watch is the way to go. Many with enamel dials will be very clean. A nickel case will look silver and be cheaper than "coin silver", and will tarnish less. Sterling silver cases don't seem that common. Gold-filled (aka rolled gold) will also be fairly cheap. Elgin and Waltham won't be as expensive as Hamilton, because the latter has current brand value, but they are just as good.

Something with 15 or 17 jewels will put you in the middle of the quality range, and provide a good balance between price and quality. These frequently sell for less than a hundred dollars in running condition. Then, have it serviced.

You'll end up with a watch of far better quality than anything new at that price point.

Rick "who has taken his own advice" Denney
    Ulysse Nardin: Marine 1183-126*; Zenith: Captain 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: C1 Big-Date*, C1 Chronograph*, Saratoga Dual-Time Chronograph, Mariner; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73*, 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41, Type E 9137C41*; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 cal. ST19; Seiko: Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches, F72.2014.DG3804; Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Thread Information