Looking to purchase a pocket watch for my husband, for under $1000

Thread: Looking to purchase a pocket watch for my husband, for under $1000

Looking to purchase a pocket watch for my husband, for under $1000

Hello, I have recently noticed my husband admiring pocketwatches on the television, and would like to buy one for his birthday. I have done some research, and I understand that buying vintage would be best, (I would particulary like to buy a Longines for him) however I would like his first watch to look new, and that is out of my budget, this year anyway. So I have been looking a newer watches, I would love to get a sterling silver watch. But the only ones that come up are Charles Hubert. Does anyone have an opinion on this watch maker? Or can you recommend another? I believe I would like a quartz, but I really am not clear on the best mechanism for him. I really would appreciate suggestions, insight, and honest truth. And if you know of a great vintage watch available by longines I would love to hear about it. Thank you. Jen

Re: Looking to purchase a pocket watch for my husband, for under $1000

If I was you and for that price I would be looking at the US made pocket watches Waltham to me, they made some great pieces and I am sure you will pick a good piece up for that price.

Don't buy anything advertised on TV!! ... watches at least.

Most quartz pocket watches that are available today are pretty crummy. Just buying a mechanical on eBay is probably not the best course for a noob. Find a quality website and ask questions here! We actually like to help
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

There are plenty of vintage sterling silver Longines out there for less than $1k, even adding in a good service to the cost, but don't forget to add in the chain as well.

To be fair, Charles Hubert has got a pretty good reputation (see https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/tho...es-826208.html) - but obviously members of this forum are more interested in and appreciative of vintage pieces. Another modern brand to consider is Tissot who still issue both quartz and mechanical pocket watches.

But I agree with mirius, you should be able to get a really nice silver Longines within your budget.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thank you! What do you think of this longines? I would like a hunter, and I have spent days searching the web, this is the best condition so far. It is not silver, but nice. Very utilitarian! Like the IBM clock, but we are fond of the IBM clock for funny reasons

.Longines High Art Deco Pocket Watch S.Steel $495 | Longines | Manufacture L To Z | Vintage Watches | Styleintime

Longines High Art Deco Pocket Watch S.Steel $495 | Longines | Manufacture L To Z | Vintage Watches | Styleintime
    This is the best I have found so far, it is in good shape, but is not hunter. I like other styles better, but it is important for my husband that it look new, even if 75 years old! I have spent days looking, and this is the best I can come up with it. If you can suggest other sites please let me know! Thank ou for your help!

Looks beautiful to me!
    Swiss 1980'S 16 Size 47mm Zenith Movado Hunter Case Pocket Watch Quartz | eBay
    looks nice to me too... but a jeweler might have to do a light polish to make it look 'as new'.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by bruni View Post
    Hello, I have recently noticed my husband admiring pocketwatches on the television, and would like to buy one for his birthday. I have done some research, and I understand that buying vintage would be best, (I would particulary like to buy a Longines for him) however I would like his first watch to look new, and that is out of my budget, this year anyway. So I have been looking a newer watches, I would love to get a sterling silver watch. But the only ones that come up are Charles Hubert. Does anyone have an opinion on this watch maker? Or can you recommend another? I believe I would like a quartz, but I really am not clear on the best mechanism for him. I really would appreciate suggestions, insight, and honest truth. And if you know of a great vintage watch available by longines I would love to hear about it. Thank you. Jen
    For £1000 yoy can get a 1/4 repeater
    Chimes hours and quarters
    FANTASTIC
    Take time check back here BEFORE yoy buy

Welcome
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam