Looking for some advice/opinions on restoring a vintage Omega with a cracked enamel dial
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By fixer29
  • 2 Post By SilkeN
  • 1 Post By Roland Ranfft
  • 1 Post By fixer29

Thread: Looking for some advice/opinions on restoring a vintage Omega with a cracked enamel dial

Looking for some advice/opinions on restoring a vintage Omega with a cracked enamel dial

Hi, I've been collecting and repairing watches for a while as a hobby, but I'm looking to start selling a few of the ones I don't wear or I think might be more appreciated by other collectors.

One that I'm looking to get rid of is an old Omega I picked up cheap on eBay as it doesn't seem like one I would wear as an everyday watch. It's nice looking, late 1920s I think from the serial number, sterling silver case is in good condition etc. just need to give the movement a service and buy a strap. The only thing I'm not sure about is what I should do about the enamel dial being cracked?
    If I was planning to keep it for myself I'd leave it as it's part of the whole vintage look, but as Ive never tried to resell any watches before I'm not really sure what other collectors would prefer?

So what is the general opinion here, should I leave the dial as it is, and keep the watch as original as possible? Or would it be better to try and find a replacement for it?
    I've had a look around, but with it being very old, and possibly quite rare as I've not seen any others yet, so I haven't had any luck locating one yet.

Name:  20150525_194930.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  129.0 KBName:  20150525_202225.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  118.1 KB
    jackruff likes this.

Re: Looking for some advice/opinions on restoring a vintage Omega with a cracked enamel dial

I would leave it as is. The cracks are part of that watch and could be thought of as patina. Cased up it should look great.
    Last edited by John MS; May 26th, 2015 at 00:18.

Re: Looking for some advice/opinions on restoring a vintage Omega with a cracked enamel dial

In reality you don't see the hairlines you see the dirt who was collected by the time within the gab. Take the dial and put it one day or two in dishwasching liquit in the same conzenration which you use for your tableware. Start with warm water. Some guys use floor cleaner this should work also. Usually the hairlines get unvisible over night. Stronger solutions (Elma 1+9) may dissolve the numbers or logo. Not in all cases they are completely burned independently of the brand. I've had this effect on a Zenith and heard about a IWC.
    Normally under the glas they'll be stay unvisible the next years. Some people close them after cleaning with acryl lacquer but I'm not sure if its a good idea.

Kind regards Silke
    Wibbs and jackruff like this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

Silke is right. Here an example of an Omega dial before and after cleaning

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Name:  Omega_1.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  29.0 KBName:  Omega_2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  22.3 KB
    jackruff likes this.

I'd leave it as is. Part of the charm.
    -------
    Japanese Movements/Quartz:
    Citizen: JY0040-59L Eco-Drive Skyhawk At Blue Dial Seiko: 6139-6002, 7A38-7280 Casio: MDV106-1A, F91w CA53w-1

Swiss:

Hamilton: Officer's Field Khaki Mechanical H69619533, Jazzmaster H18451555, Khaki Pilot H64611135, khaki aviation pilot chronograph H64666155
    Ball: Fireman Racer, Engineer II, Trainmaster Eternity

Vintage:
    Record 9K gold Watch, Hamilton Stormking VIII 10K gold, Venus 170 chronograph, Omega cal.268

Ticino pilot chronograph, Marathon General Purpose Mechanical

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    I didn't realise soaking it would be so affective as I usually just give the dials a gentle wipe to get the dirt off but leaving the patina as it is. But thanks for the tip, I'll give that a go and hopefully it will look nice once I've finished.
    jackruff likes this.

Thread Information