Looking for some advice on a vintage Tissot
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eeeb

Thread: Looking for some advice on a vintage Tissot

Looking for some advice on a vintage Tissot

Hi all,

I am a newbie when it comes to vintage watches but I have been interested in them for a long time. Browsing through the forums here I came upon a few pictures of the Tissot Seastar. I was searching the web and found the one I was looking for. Here are some pics:
    Name:  $(KGrHqN,!rME-Y0)MeW5BPtMj+WCK!~~60_3.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  70.5 KB
    Name:  561346480_o.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  283.6 KB
    Name:  561346511_o.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  196.4 KB
    Name:  561346395_o.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  187.8 KB

I have a few questions and some concerns. First, not really a question, is the seller does not offer a whole lot of specifics on the watch just a generic year range and that the watch was recently services and working well.

Second is that this watch looks in great shape but up close the lume on the markers look a little lumpy and a tad smeared, is this normal or do you think the dial and lume have been repainted?

Third, am I just being too picky or does the movement look a little dirty. I understand vintage watches will not look pristine but I also don’t want to have to completely overhaul a movement shortly after a purchase. BTW, the seller is asking $250 for this piece.

Fourth, what should I expect on a +/- sec/min per day on a vintage watch like this?

And lastly, it looks like the seller sold this exact watch two months ago. I’m guessing the original buyer returned the watch; don’t really know of any other explanation.

I appreciate any help, guidance, advice, or encouragement to help me finally pull the trigger on my first vintage watch.

Re: Looking for some advice on a vintage Tissot

This is definitely a redial. Crudely applied lume.

The movement seems to have suffered some water damage. I serviced one of these movements (781-1). It's a nice movement and is capable of being very accurate, when in good condition. Looks like the movement is overlubricated (too much oil in the cups), but it could be reflections.

The seller is asking waaaay too much. I'd pass on this one and look for something else.

Thanks a bunch for the info. You pretty much confirmed everything I was thinking.

This seller has another very similar watch up for sale right now and the movement has the same over lubed look to it. Looks like I will pass on that too.

Thanks again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by vbomega View Post
    This is definitely a redial. Crudely applied lume.

The movement seems to have suffered some water damage. I serviced one of these movements (781-1). It's a nice movement and is capable of being very accurate, when in good condition. Looks like the movement is overlubricated (too much oil in the cups), but it could be reflections.

The seller is asking waaaay too much. I'd pass on this one and look for something else.
    Yes... good advice. This is not a good starter for a collection. But if you love it (sounds like you don't...but if you did) then buy it and wear it. Watches are personal!!
    redcow likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of this watch, but for my first vintage piece I was really hoping for an original dial, tritium markers, and a movement that wasn't "suspect".

Thanks for your advice though. I am very interested in getting a vintage piece soon, hopefully a vintage diver that matches my specs.

Any suggestions for a vintage diver, tritium markers, a reliable movement, “bigger” size (37mm+), and under $350. I would prefer a brand name but a smaller market brand would work as well as long as it has the look I am going for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Yes... good advice. This is not a good starter for a collection. But if you love it (sounds like you don't...but if you did) then buy it and wear it. Watches are personal!!

Quote Originally Posted by kprzybyl View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love the look of this watch, but for my first vintage piece I was really hoping for an original dial, tritium markers, and a movement that wasn't "suspect".

Thanks for your advice though. I am very interested in getting a vintage piece soon, hopefully a vintage diver that matches my specs.

Any suggestions for a vintage diver, tritium markers, a reliable movement, “bigger” size (37mm+), and under $350. I would prefer a brand name but a smaller market brand would work as well as long as it has the look I am going for.

Vintage watches are not generally that large unless they are chronographs. Most will be 35mm- ... large watches are the recent reversal of a trend of 150 years of showing off expertise by making smaller watches.

At that price point, brands which are popular today will probably have their vintage watches priced out of your market... but there are lots of 'unknown' brands which are comparable in quality. Patience is a virtue in such a search.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

It does look like a nice watch at first glance but too many things do come to mind when looking closer, such as:
    1. As mentioned earlier by a few friends it is definitely a refinished dial and the SWISS under TISSOT was only done in later past-80s models, not vintage ones. It does miss a relevant SWISS at the bottom though;
    2. Of all negative things, I find the case being the worst; Over polished with wear marks on the back and missing a rubber gasket.
    3. The movement is indeed simply dirty and when properly 'serviced' you are not supposed to see that. Add that to the fact your main bridge has a gilt tone and the rest of the movement a nickel tone, this is actually a mixed assembly of parts;
    4. The crown is probably signed but is not original/consistent with the tone of the watch.

Having examined all these 'wrong' practices and generalizing them to past reviews, I determine this watch was offered by a seller from the far east, Most likely India or Singapore (No offense anyone!).

Hey thanks a bunch. You guys have really helped me out. Looks like I will just keep up my vintage watch search and do a lot more research.

Quote Originally Posted by eldarinn View Post
    It does look like a nice watch at first glance but too many things do come to mind when looking closer, such as:
    1. As mentioned earlier by a few friends it is definitely a refinished dial and the SWISS under TISSOT was only done in later past-80s models, not vintage ones. It does miss a relevant SWISS at the bottom though;
    2. Of all negative things, I find the case being the worst; Over polished with wear marks on the back and missing a rubber gasket.
    3. The movement is indeed simply dirty and when properly 'serviced' you are not supposed to see that. Add that to the fact your main bridge has a gilt tone and the rest of the movement a nickel tone, this is actually a mixed assembly of parts;
    4. The crown is probably signed but is not original/consistent with the tone of the watch.

Having examined all these 'wrong' practices and generalizing them to past reviews, I determine this watch was offered by a seller from the far east, Most likely India or Singapore (No offense anyone!).
    Hi!

Exact description and exactly what I think about that watch - polished to death from outside and inside a lot of dirt, rust and no gasket. If that movement has been serviced, it must be a before-shot.
    The movement isn´t fixed on the plastic holding ring - and i can´t imagine that such a plastic ring had been standard in Tissots of that time.

If you´re looking for a larger vintage watch, you can look for a mid-end 1960s´ Rado Starliner, IMHO they look nice, have a 38 mm diameter case and you still can get them for a reasonable price. But you have to keep yours eyes open on these ones as well - there are always a few redials and Frankens on the market.
    Here´s my one with original NOS dial, there´s also a Day/Night version with half black and half silver dial:

Name:  0 Starliner Marcus after forum.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  128.2 KB
    Best regards, Mike

Thread Information