looking for some info on this Huber watch...
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: looking for some info on this Huber watch...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

looking for some info on this Huber watch...

Hi all, I'm new here so forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question or asking in the wrong place.

i picked this up recently and it's super cool but strangely small. Appears to be silver.

Any information would be great. Thanks!
    busmatt likes this.

Re: looking for some info on this Huber watch...

Huber is mainly known as a watch seller with offices in Munich/Bavaria, Germany. They (founded 1856) are still around, but there was a name change to Andreas Huberer - Bucherer (2009), then just Bucherer, after the company had been acquired by the Swiss watch seller Uhrenhaus Bucherer (2002). They have also made their own watches of various types. I don't know if the one you have is a Huber watch or just a watch sold by them. The half-moon and the crown are the German silver-marks and 0.800 (800/1000) is the standard silver content.

Huber developed watches for busses and street cars. They introduced the radio time-announcement in Germany and had been heavily involved in stop watches and timekeeping for car-races or complicated measuring instruments for expeditions. They were official timekeepers at the 1936 Olympic wintergames in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany (your watch must come from around that period).

Strangely small? Men's wrist watches had been this small in the 1930ies, 1940ies or even 1950ies. They are ladies-size today, but yours is gents for sure. I have some Gothams, Elgins, Wittnauers etc. from that period. You couldn't wear many of them as a male today or people would think you are on your way to the love parade. Your's is already a bit bigger than some of the smallest examples. Very nice watch by the way and yes, you came to the right place!

The experts here will be able to tell you more about the movements, its not my main line of watch collection.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 18th, 2015 at 14:09. Reason: typos
    SilkeN and busmatt like this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Wearing a small watch back then demonstrated that you had the cutting edge of technology for small and accurate was hard to achieve. Consider it the iPhone compared to the bricks of the 1980's.
    Border-Reiver likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Wearing a small watch back then demonstrated that you had the cutting edge of technology for small and accurate was hard to achieve. Consider it the iPhone compared to the bricks of the 1980's.
    Absolutely correct, it was the hype of 'small is beautiful' and good watchmaking was also demonstrated by making the smallest watches/movements, when everything else was fairly common in larger dimensions. But if you (male) sit in the train today with a such a watch on your wrist, how many people around you are aware of this?
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 18th, 2015 at 14:20. Reason: typos
    Mirius likes this.

What's size of it without a crown?
    Chaos is my focus

What concerns an often made suggestion to contact the company directly with questions about age etc. of a watch, in this case it is difficult, if not impossible. Very often, these people are not only competent, but nice and helpful, even if you come along with a complicated question, not generating any commercial business. We recently had a case here with 'Galli' in Zurich, Switzerland. They usually come back with an answer in a couple of days.

After the takeover by Bucherer, the Huber company - or better the sales offices - were more and more integrated into the business of their new owners. The fourth generation of Huber's was represented by Martin Huber, who led the business into the new millenium. He is also the author of standard-works of horology about Patek Philippe and Lange & Soehne.

The only one who might know is Ashley Pace. He is the son of the first wife of Martin Huber from an earlier marriage of her. He had worked as a manager for Huber, but has his own business now. His shop for luxury watches is also in Munich, close to the world's most famous beer-garden Hofbraeuhaus'. You could combine a trip for a good (no, very good) beer with a visit of his store 'Ashley's - Fine Watches and Jewellery'. And if your wife is reluctant to come along: He has also his own line of luxury ladies watches.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I can't say that I've ever had anyone comment when I've been wearing small watches. But it would surely depend on your social circles. Perhaps though people just assume I'm on my way to the love parade ;)
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    What's size of it without a crown?
    I don't know what time-zone the thread opener is in and when the answer can be expected. In the meantime: The quarter used for comparison has diameter of 0.955 inches (2,426 cm).

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    I can't say that I've ever had anyone comment when I've been wearing small watches. But it would surely depend on your social circles. Perhaps though people just assume I'm on my way to the love parade ;)
    That was meant to be a joke, which originates from a comment of my wife. I have a Gotham watch from the 1940ies and a found a yellow wrist-band in the right width and length, which looked different (and also much darker) when I saw it in the seller's offer. To the left in the picture, there is a Bulova from that period that might be marginably more acceptable to wear, especially with the (wider) brown band.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 18th, 2015 at 14:57.
    Mirius and busmatt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    That was meant to be a joke, which originates from a comment of my wife. I have a Gotham watch from the 1940ies and a found a yellow wrist-band in the right width and length, which looked different (and also much darker) when I saw it in the seller's offer. To the left in the picture, there is a Bulova from that period that might be marginably more acceptable to wear, especially with the (wider) brown band.
    Perhaps the toneau and the tanque shapes could be more generally regarded as less masculine in the decidely smaller forms.

For many however - the dull silver-colored cushions have always appeared very manly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information