Looking for a watch that was bought in Germany

Thread: Looking for a watch that was bought in Germany

Lightbulb Looking for a watch that was bought in Germany

About 30-35 years ago my brother bought a watch for my mother. He got it in Germany and I think maybe at the Army Exchange there. This watch really had no numbers, no hands, and it was a black and gold watch. It had a gold stretch band on it. (my mother probably put that on there)
    My mother was visiting in Arizona and the watch was stolen sometime before 1990.
    A person needed to study the watch in order to be able to tell time on it. It had a "almost starburst" sort of face. It seemed to "open and close" When it opened, it had red marks that indicated the hour and minute.
    Does anyone know what kind of watch this may have been? My brother has passed, my mother and father have both passed. This is something I have been trying to find for a number of years and for some reason I had not thought of this before.
    If anyone has any idea what kind of watch, made by whatever company, ect. I would appreciate any feedback I can get. Thank you so much. This really means a lot to me since I am the youngest child of the 7 my mother had and I was the only one that knew how to look at it and tell time.
    It was a beautiful and unique watch.

Re: Looking for a watch that was bought in Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ybliku2 View Post
    About 30-35 years ago my brother bought a watch for my mother. He got it in Germany and I think maybe at the Army Exchange there. This watch really had no numbers, no hands, and it was a black and gold watch. It had a gold stretch band on it. (my mother probably put that on there)
    My mother was visiting in Arizona and the watch was stolen sometime before 1990.
    A person needed to study the watch in order to be able to tell time on it. It had a "almost starburst" sort of face. It seemed to "open and close" When it opened, it had red marks that indicated the hour and minute.
    Does anyone know what kind of watch this may have been? My brother has passed, my mother and father have both passed. This is something I have been trying to find for a number of years and for some reason I had not thought of this before.
    If anyone has any idea what kind of watch, made by whatever company, ect. I would appreciate any feedback I can get. Thank you so much. This really means a lot to me since I am the youngest child of the 7 my mother had and I was the only one that knew how to look at it and tell time.
    It was a beautiful and unique watch.

my mother had that same watch; it was bought in the Caribbean around 1965. I know it was Swiss mechanical, and I thought it was an astounding and beautiful watch and I have no idea what happened to it.

Sounds like a Borel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Sounds like a Borel.

You're right! Thank you. That's the company: Swiss and these watches were usually made for markets outside Europe. Wikipedia has a good article on the company.

Thank you so much. You have made my day! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Prego
    Quote Originally Posted by ybliku2 View Post
    Thank you so much. You have made my day! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Thread moved from Inquiries.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

If it's a Borel (and that brand was the first that entered my mind after reading the description as well), it should be a Borel "Cocktail" watch. These became popular in the sixties. There are several types so you may find it difficult to get an exact match. Google for "Borel Cocktail" and you will find loads of examples.

Hartmut Richter

I bought one recently, its really something different Ernest Borel "Kalidoscope" cocktail watch with mystery hands. Early 60's were 17j with wire lugs in gold filled or stainless case. Mines a blue 1969 model base metal case (brass? ). They came in several colors and pattern designs. I picked it up for a steal - $65. Would love a mens version but dont think they made them.
    Name:  ernest borel.640.JPG
Views: 871
Size:  34.6 KB
    Angelus,Baum & Mercier,Breil,Bulova,Buren,Certina,Cortebert,Cyma, Elgin,Enicar,Ernest Borel,Eterna,Helbros,Helvetia,Jaeger Le Coultre,Lanco,Longines,Lucina Geneva,Mido,Mira,Movado,Nivada,Omega (22) ,Oris,Rado, Roamer,Rolex,Rotary,Seiko,Tissot,Tudor,Universal Geneva,Zaigor,Zenith, Zodiac

Thread Information