Views: 638
Size:  243.9 KB
    Name:  DSC08609.JPG
Views: 966
Size:  226.0 KB
    Name:  DSC08611.JPG
Views: 558
Size:  196.2 KB

Happily was owning this watch, working fine 3 months ago. Now I returned home from my intl assignment and the watch is not functioning...( meanwhile our home was moved and maybe this watch was mis-handled )

Went to my local watchmaker, diagnosis: Broken gear!

It's the Breitling-Heuer-Dubois Depraz-Buren coalition's outcome and signed by Kelek. Built on Buren micro rotor base and Dubois Depraz chronograph module. Since we also don't speak the same language with my watchmaker, what I understood from a scheme he was showing an unrelated disambled ETA movement poster, the trouble is kind of the second gear above the barrel :(

It might not sound clear as for which gear but just trying...

So, I am wondering do I need a donor, if I can not find gears only?
    Quick search in bay brought up some cal 11-12 parts which are listed with Valjoux 7740 together. Were these base calibers related and ex-changable, would they work for Cal 15? What would be your recommendation to make this aparat tick again?:)

thanks a lot
    Last edited by Emre; July 17th, 2013 at 13:50.

Re: Looks like I'm in trouble/Breitling-Heuer Cal 15

Thats sad.
    Can yout watch repairer not source the part?
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Yes Adam, kind of sad that this beauty doesn't tick and unfortunately no parts available where I am. The watch repair service is a Breitling certified one, they did really good job on servicing my early automatics, various vintage mechanisms, but when it comes to parts we are stacked. That's why trying to outsource the service or trying to find suitable parts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Yes Adam, kind of sad that this beauty doesn't tick and unfortunately no parts available where I am. The watch repair service is a Breitling certified one, they did really good job on servicing my early automatics, various vintage mechanisms, but when it comes to parts we are stacked. That's why trying to outsource the service or trying to find suitable parts.
    Well if you can not find anything
    I can recommend a repairer in US who surely can fix it.
    If he can not source the part he can make it
    Regards
    Emre likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Craig Bergsma of Chronodeco has quite a big stock of Cal. 11/12/15 components and has serviced and repaired several of my Chrono-Matic. Fabbing some of those parts will be very close to impossible. V7740 is a manual wind, based on Cal. 11 design and does share some parts. chronodeco - Repair and Restoration, give Craig my regards; donors for these are quite prohibitively expensive.
    Emre likes this.

Thank you Adam and WatchFred for your replies. I will approach Craig, upon his availability could send it to him. Since the evening searching donors or parts, they are actually taken apart and cost more than the watch itself when put together:)

by far, Emre. Many Kelek and Hamilton were "slaughtered", as were some Breitling w/ V7740, used w/ remarked bridges to assemble Breitling Pult or Navitimer 7806/8806 as quite a lot of NOS cases still remain in the market from the Breitling parts sell-off of 1979, drove up the cost of donor watches to crazy amounts, a complete Cal. 12 is currently offered for $1.5k (and will probably sell).

Hope Craig will be able to help, normally a sound bet.
    Last edited by WatchFred; July 17th, 2013 at 23:11.

Just wanted to leave feedback for future reference. Craig Bergsma aka Chronodeco, made a great job. I am very pleased with the way he applies his skills and updates about the process. Obviously the watch had some un-skilled touches just to run for sales. Craig put the things in order as it should be,the service duration was 6 weeks. The watch looks and ticks as new now and took its rightful place in my parallel collection,automatic watches theme box. The issues and applied skills and changed parts were as below:

1) COA

2) 3rd wheel

3) stop click

4) oscillating pinion

5) new flyback lever

6) stake stripped flyback screw hole

7) new crystal

8) auto wind bridge

9) clean balance jewels

10) new crown

Some pictures during the process:

Name:  MVC-004S.JPG
Views: 377
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  MVC-009S.JPG
Views: 368
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  MVC-011S.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  MVC-013S.JPG
Views: 382
Size:  38.7 KB

This gentleman is a great asset for the vintage watches world. I am happy to announce that I found 2 timepieces which I was hunting since a long time to complete my Glycine collection. They are both powered by Val 72 and variates ( 724 ), they are also on the way to Craig for Spa,before they join my watch box.
    Thank you Craig, thank you Fred, thank you gents for your contributions in this thread.

beautiful piece, Emre - and good to hear how well this restoration went; Craig is a great guy.

Thread Information