Lord Elgin Shockmaster Meridian Caliber 716?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RAMOS262
  • 3 Post By GeneJockey

Thread: Lord Elgin Shockmaster Meridian Caliber 716?

Lord Elgin Shockmaster Meridian Caliber 716?

Hello,
    I have what I believe is a Lord Elgin Shockmaster Meridian. I really could use any info about the watch, advice regarding restoring it, and how to obtain a value as no posts currently appear on ebay. Thanks for any input!
    Attached Images Attached Images

bubba48 likes this.

Re: Lord Elgin Shockmaster Meridian Caliber 716?

The Meridian was one of the "Horizon Look" line of Lord Elgins, introduced in 1957. These had 'wraparound' crystals which completely covered the front of the watch, overlapping the bezel. It's a very striking look. You'll need to source a new, correct crystal. The model number, 7684, will help you find one.

The 716 movement was one of the 710 series of 13/0 sized movements introduced in 1956. These were intended to replace both the round 8/0 and the rectangular 15/0 movements. The 716 is relatively uncommon, made only for one year, and replaced in 1957 by the 724, which is a 23j movement. Apparently Elgin felt market pressure to up-jewel the Lord Elgins, possibly to compete with Bulova's 23j movements. It has an indirectly driven sweep second hand which uses a double sweep second wheel to prevent the jerky motion one sometimes gets with indirectly driven sweep second hands.

It will also have a one-piece regulator, which is a tricky beast to work with. The hairspring has to be gently lifted out of the gate before you can take it off the balance cock, and then lifted back in when you reinstall it. Then you're supposed to turn the whole thing till the hairspring is properly caged.

The best thing you can do is to get a copy of the Elgin Blue Book, the 1958 Service Manual. It contains pages on Wraparound Crystal, the double sweep second wheel, and the one-piece regulator.

Apart from that, the hairspring's bent about 20 degrees from the stud, and that's pulling the whole thing off center.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Re: Lord Elgin Shockmaster Meridian Caliber 716?

I think the crystal you want is a G-S PA459-45. It's listed in the G-S catalog as fitting the 7685 Panorama, which is pretty much the same size. I had a watchmaker try the PA461-70, because the catalog says it's for "7680-7689", and he told me he COULD NOT fit it without breaking it.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    I think the crystal you want is a G-S PA459-45. It's listed in the G-S catalog as fitting the 7685 Panorama, which is pretty much the same size. I had a watchmaker try the PA461-70, because the catalog says it's for "7680-7689", and he told me he COULD NOT fit it without breaking it.

Thank you so much! I was excited that it started right up. There is an issue with the crown and stem. Well there are all kinds of issues with it I suppose. lol

Thread Information