Lord Elgin watch, help!

Thread: Lord Elgin watch, help!

Question Lord Elgin watch, help!

Does anyone know any information on these watches? Sorry, my computer skills are bad and all google is doing is confusing me. I have one that was stuffed away in my attic and is almost exactly similar to this one on ebay:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

and I really would like to know if anyone can tell me a little about where or when it's from!

Re: Lord Elgin watch, help!

How exactly similar is it? I'd be surprised if Mr. Adamson got two watches for his 25 years of service... unless it was actually 50 years of service, and they cheaped out and bought him two 25 year award watches... ;)

The Lord Elgin was one of the higher grade wristwatches from the Elgin National Watch company, but how good it is depends somewhat on when it was made. The one in the ebay listing looks vaguely 50ish, which would likely be a pretty good, american made movement.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Re: Lord Elgin watch, help!

The Lord Elgin you linked to, dates back to when they gave real gold watches on retirement, with very rare exceptions, the company name on the watch is meaningless, unless it came from a well known company(famous increases/infamous mostly decreases). The exact movement is marked if you remove the back and will determine the true value, in round watches, the 730/750/770 series are the most valuable. I will take good pictures to say more.

Thread Information