Lots of Vintage Art Deco Tonneau Watches are Available...
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Lots of Vintage Art Deco Tonneau Watches are Available...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Good news is there are art deco tonneau style watches around...here are some examples I have found:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Sdasurrey; March 6th, 2014 at 23:52.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Re: Lots of Vintage Art Deco Tonneau Watches are Available...

The factories in Argentina are working overtime!

Well, some have to be real! Which ones I am not sure.
    Last edited by Eeeb; March 7th, 2014 at 02:21.
    Wibbs likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I guess it's a test ! I think more are real than not ..

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    I guess it's a test ! I think more are real than not ..

Well then, we need movement pics!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

One of the reasons I put these watches up is for vintage dial/style comparisons. The vintage Omega tonneau I purchased and discussed here at least cosmetically was very well received but it did seem fairly clear the dial had been redone as none of the watches here show the multiple colours the Omega had for the exploding numerals. So to understand the context for the Omega I have been looking at a lot of others and researching informally the Russian link both in case production and the historical link because the 'original' version is the Petrograd version which was a gift from the Tsar to the Mayor of St Petersburg in 1915. That's also the Museum watch Omega brought back in 2003 in a limited edition of 1915 and then again another variation for the Sochi Olympics this year.

So yes the movements and hallmarks etc are key to deciding whether it's 'real or memorex' but I had a slightly different objective when I posted these. I guess also, even as I have been burned on this Omega with the hack job done on the movement, I still generally start from the assumption that every watch could be real until proven fake. So whatever approach someone takes as is emphasised here again and again, do the research! So just some quick context for these pics, but thanks ! Scott

Good news is there are art deco tonneau style watches around...here are some examples I have found:
    These are all Frankens or at least 'marriage' watches.
    The dial are all reworked and never original to Omega/Moser.

Finding a 1920 good Tonneau, will not be so easy.
    Possible but not so available, and should be pricey!

STOP PRESS
    The first Omega on left looks real!!!! Now wee need the movement AND inside case marks

Adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; March 7th, 2014 at 12:56.
    Wibbs likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Now wee need the movement AND inside case marks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey
    .... and hallmarks etc are key to deciding
    I always wonder why people believe in (the easyest to fake) details like marks, stamps, papers, stickers, etc. some even believe that the well-known pin-lever Omegas have solid gold cases and bracelets according their monstrous gold stamps.

Simply consider that the movement is the best protected component of a watch. So if ever the movement has a worse appearance than other parts, the watch is cobbled together trash - almost always or even more.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; March 7th, 2014 at 13:45.

Hi Roland.
    I was not implying that movement and case marks covers all reality.
    But without at least viewing these it harder to decide.
    The first Omega and ONLY the first piece looks promising, hence my comment.
    Sincerely
    Adam

Deleted ....

Last edited by Sdasurrey; March 8th, 2014 at 11:21.

Okay guys keeping on this subject and the other Omega I'm about to send back, there is an alternative scenario. Here are the details - I paid about £2100. But I was immediately offered a discount to cover fixing it. I asked for a stupid number like 75% off because I don't have the time or expertise to do it plus taking time I don't have a nice watch.

And that didn't fly - but it was looked at by the owner of a dedicated vintage watch shop yesterday who thought it was real - everyone has seen the hallmarks - in the most recent pic I put up you can see the dial which is guessed to be silver is bent near the 3 maybe from hitting the stem. So I was told fixing that isn't easy so if you break a piece off then it's hard to deal with. Some of the enamel in the redone dial 2 in the 12 is coming off, the ballpark guess yesterday to get this in good shape, copping a new omega movement was maybe £600. This point of 'keep the dial/case replace the movement' was also made yesterday by Tomcat. So say I got half off and then one of you who do this could easily then grab it fix it and sell it back to me or sell it generally. If it's worth £2100 in the current state and is worth £3000 (not sold back to me for that price ! ) after (hypothetically) that's an outlay of £1600 for a gross return hypothetically of £3000. Now I'm new here and not asking valuation questions and I have been conservative in not even mentioning prices before AND hopefully what I'm writing doesn't violate any rules ! But if anyone wants to discuss this BEFORE I fedex it back on Monday let me know by PM and I can ask for the 50% discount - cheers, Scott

Scott
    Send the watch back for a FULL credit.
    Its a DOG!!
    AND
    The dial is re-worked.
    It is NOT worth even £500.
    Send it back and be glad
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information