A loud 'un but a good 'un: My Smiths Empire pocket watch

Thread: A loud 'un but a good 'un: My Smiths Empire pocket watch

A loud 'un but a good 'un: My Smiths Empire pocket watch

Thought I'd share with you my Smiths 'Empire' pocket watch, which I bought off FleaBay for £15 inc. postage. Not in the best condition admittedly, but keeps excellent time and boy, does it tick loud!

And the movement:

I love how it's got printed fairly prominently 'Made in Great Britain' on both times - from a time Britain was great!

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me when this was manufactured, I'm guessing probably the '50s or '60s, the movement has '65' stamped on it, could that be the date of manufacture? Any more info on the watch at all?

Re: A loud 'un but a good 'un: My Smiths Empire pocket watch

Here's some information on the Smiths Ingersoll factory where your watch was made.
    http://history.powys.org.uk/history/ystrad/anglo1.html

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

You are right about the loud ticks.

I come across these and their Ingersoll brethren fairly regularly at boot sales.

Cheap but nice.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website
    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052/index.htm

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
    Thought I'd share with you my Smiths 'Empire' pocket watch, which I bought off FleaBay for £15 inc. postage. Not in the best condition admittedly, but keeps excellent time and boy, does it tick loud!

I love how it's got printed fairly prominently 'Made in Great Britain' on both times - from a time Britain was great!

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me when this was manufactured, I'm guessing probably the '50s or '60s, the movement has '65' stamped on it, could that be the date of manufacture? Any more info on the watch at all?
    That's the original Anglo-Celtic calibre PY that was in production in various forms from the foundation of the factory (early post-war) until its closure (about 1980). The design was inherited from Ingersoll USA, and dates back to 1905.

The 'Empire' branding I think places your watch pre-1960.

It's about time we saw some more Welsh watches on this forum

Here's my calibre TY 5 jewels from the late 1950s:

Recently I saw a 21 jewel TY on ebay. I was sorely tempted, but due to the exchange rate, I find it hard to compete with you Poms

Thread Information