Louvic movement - how does it look?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Louvic movement - how does it look?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    58

    Question Louvic movement - how does it look?

    I'm interested in an item and I have pictures of its movement.
    I was wondering if looked any good? How's that state of it?
    Not very knowledgeable here so far hehe
    Thanks for anything you can give me!
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  70.5 KB

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Another time
    Posts
    1,705

    Re: Louvic movement - how does it look?

    Looks to be largely un-butchered, although there has been some clumsy work at the stem release screw (the smallest screw nearest the crown). Tech details of your movement, an AS 1194, here: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 1194

    Regards,
    jjb12 likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    58

    Re: Louvic movement - how does it look?

    Quote Originally Posted by balaton View Post
    Looks to be largely un-butchered, although there has been some clumsy work at the stem release screw (the smallest screw nearest the crown). Tech details of your movement, an AS 1194, here: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 1194

    Regards,
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply!
    And thanks so much for that link, that seems to be a useful website.
    The item itself costs about 28 USD.
    In your opinion, do you think a movement like that warrants that price?

    AND, could that screw cause bad problems down the line?

    Thanks again!! :)

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Another time
    Posts
    1,705

    Re: Louvic movement - how does it look?

    Quote Originally Posted by jjb12 View Post
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply!
    And thanks so much for that link, that seems to be a useful website.
    The item itself costs about 28 USD.
    In your opinion, do you think a movement like that warrants that price?

    AND, could that screw cause bad problems down the line?

    Thanks again!! :)
    You're very welcome and, yes, it's the main go-to website for movement details.

    It's a tried and tested movement which was used by many makers and spares should be relatively easy to source if necessary. However, I presume you are not buying only the movement, so let's see a dial image as well. In addition to your $28, you'll probably have p&p and also the costs of a service if you buy it. Is the watch being sold in working order?

    Assuming the stem release screw hasn't been stripped or cross-threaded, there shouldn't be problems down the line.

    Regards.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    58

    Re: Louvic movement - how does it look?

    Quote Originally Posted by balaton View Post
    You're very welcome and, yes, it's the main go-to website for movement details.

    It's a tried and tested movement which was used by many makers and spares should be relatively easy to source if necessary. However, I presume you are not buying only the movement, so let's see a dial image as well. In addition to your $28, you'll probably have p&p and also the costs of a service if you buy it. Is the watch being sold in working order?

    Assuming the stem release screw hasn't been stripped or cross-threaded, there shouldn't be problems down the line.

    Regards.
    Yes! The watch is said to be running and "keeps time"

    Here it is!
    Name:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 40
Size:  65.4 KB

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Another time
    Posts
    1,705

    Re: Louvic movement - how does it look?

    Looks to be 1940s and I can't tell if it has an all steel case. If it says stainless steel back (in any language) then the main casing of the watch will be plated base metal.

    My kind of watch, but perhaps not for everyone.

    Regards.
    badbackdan and jjb12 like this.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    58

    Re: Louvic movement - how does it look?

    Quote Originally Posted by balaton View Post
    Looks to be 1940s and I can't tell if it has an all steel case. If it says stainless steel back (in any language) then the main casing of the watch will be plated base metal.

    My kind of watch, but perhaps not for everyone.

    Regards.
    It doesn't say stainless steel /back/, just stainless steel I think, so I guess the case is also stainless steel?

    Thanks again for everything! I know that they say wear what you like, but I needed a second opinion haha

    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  63.1 KB

  9. #8
    Member Dan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: Louvic movement - how does it look?

    In its favor, the watch looks to be largely unmolested, with matching (radium) lume on dial and hands and a sharp stainless steel case. The uneven damage/patination to the dial is not so attractive to me personally, but that is very much a matter of taste. Have you handled the watch personally? If not, you should also take note of the size of the watch, since watches from this era were much smaller than modern watches. Also, as @balaton mentioned, the cost is not only $28; you should also factor in the cost of servicing, which will be needed if you want to use the watch.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    58

    Re: Louvic movement - how does it look?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    In its favor, the watch looks to be largely unmolested, with matching (radium) lume on dial and hands and a sharp stainless steel case. The uneven damage/patination to the dial is not so attractive to me personally, but that is very much a matter of taste. Have you handled the watch personally? If not, you should also take note of the size of the watch, since watches from this era were much smaller than modern watches. Also, as @balaton mentioned, the cost is not only $28; you should also factor in the cost of servicing, which will be needed if you want to use the watch.
    Thanks for the advice! I have not handled it in person although I am prepared to be seeing a smaller watch.

    In your experience, how much have your watch services been? I have never had it done so far.

    And would I need to get it done as soon as I received the watch?
    Last edited by jjb12; June 25th, 2018 at 16:13. Reason: lacked info

  11. #10
    Member Dan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: Louvic movement - how does it look?

    Quote Originally Posted by jjb12 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I have not handled it in person although I am prepared to be seeing a smaller watch.

    In your experience, how much have your watch services been? I have never had it done so far.

    And would I need to get it done as soon as I received the watch?
    I assume that the cost may be different in the Philippines, but my watchmaker generally charges about $150 to service a watch like this, assuming that no repairs or parts are needed. However, minor repairs are often necessary, so it could easily cost $200-$250. It is not wise to run a watch that hasn't been serviced for a long time. It would be similar to running a car or motorcycle that has not had the oil or fluids changed for many years. Since the lubrication has degraded and the movement has grit and dirt inside, you would be risking wear and damage to the moving parts.
    jjb12 likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Marine Original - how does it look on a 7" wrist?
      By gregflat9 in forum Jörg Schauer & STOWA
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: April 18th, 2019, 14:29
    2. How does this look?
      By bleddrewsoe in forum Straps & Bracelets
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: June 7th, 2008, 12:58
    3. Replies: 0
      Last Post: February 1st, 2007, 07:10
    4. My first vintage purchase! How does it look?
      By vegasvince in forum Omega
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: January 19th, 2007, 06:32
    5. How does 5600e looks like inside?
      By Xenon in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: October 3rd, 2006, 15:07

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •